Thread: Windows Vista cannot find old backup files

Windows Vista cannot find old backup files

I need some help to get my old files back. I had run Vista backup and it copied all my music, videos and picture. It created a some file which is name in from of date. The extension of the same is in .fbw format. Now when I tried to restore everything back again it failed to find any backup files stored in the computer. There was nothing at all found. How can I restore those back again.

There can be some problem with Vista backup software. You must check properly where the actual files are created. Also there is a kind of manual option available that allows you to browse the backup file and then restore it.

I found the solution! If you read the small print on the recovery disk instructions, you are supposed to back up your data on a CD or DVD. I didn't read this and backed mine up on an external hard drive. Bad move. I wasn't able to restore my files. Now I have the fix. First, copy EACH of the files onto its own DVD. (don't try to fit 2 onto a DL dvd--it won't work--I tried that). Copying these huge backup files (~3.5GB each)is very time-consuming, but it's the only way to get your files restored. So now you have one disk for each of the files in your backup folder (I had nine disks-my files ranged from backup.001.fbw to .009)Next, reboot your computer in Safe Mode (continually click on the f8 key until the menu appears so you can make that selection as your computer is rebooting). Once Windows has started in Safe Mode, put in the DVD containing the first file--the one called backup.001.exe. Open "my computer" and double click on the file to start it. The recovery manager panel appears, and your DVD is ejected. You're then asked to put in your last disk. (mine was backup.009.fbw. Yours may be different.) The "NEXT" button on the recovery manager panel will activate. Click it, and you're on your way! You'll be prompted for each of your disks in descending order.I spent about 6 hours total with HP support, and no one was able to help me. I figured this out on my own, I hope it works for you!

Backup in Vista - Side Note

I also had trouble with backing up my files, or shall I say restore the backed up files once I reinstalled my Vista. It has been two weeks of hell basically, dealing with HP trying to get a solution, however, with a few calls to Vista Support finally the problem was solved. As the previous poster explained the steps to this process, I needed to take a step further. The last DVD was not being recognized: Backup.010.fbw. You have to rename the file to Backup.0010.fbw and then reburn it to DVD, then it works like a charm FINALLY. This information should be far more accessible then it has been, and I am grateful to Vista Support technicians for their help in calling me back over the course of many days and finally finding the resolution :) I hope this helps anyone in a similar situation as mine, when you have ten backup files or more.

Hey all, found the thread through google searching, I have the same problem here, an HP computer with vista that I used the restore discs on and had used the backup feature which created those funky .fbw files. I followed alslush's method burning each file to a dvd of its own, started the vista pc in safe mode, put in the 001.exe (first disc) and it brought the program up, spit the disc right out asked for LAST DISC I thought man I am on my way to FINALLY getting my data back! That is where things went downhill, my files are
    001.exe
    002.fbw
    003.fbw
    004.fbw
    ends with 004 nothing above that or above 10.

Do I need to reburn file 004.fbw as .0004.fbw to get the restore program to recognize the last disc?For whatever reason everything goes great till it asks for last disc, i pop that in and it just sits i never get the NEXT button option, just sits till it becomes unresponsive (left it in cdrom for like 10 mins hoping it would find it) even tried opening my computer dragging it in (in desperation) hehe, double clicked it but cant address it a program since this restore program is not actually installed on the disc it won't let me point the file extension to that program etc. I sure hope others are still here who might be able to help on this. Gonna try one more thing before bed, reburning the last disc on dvd but as bootable disc, heck I dunno might help might not... I burned as a standard data disc originally and closed the disc (no multisession). This time using nero 6, i used data boot disc method will see what if anything that produces, if nothing then tomorrow I will try the method described below.

Tomorrow if this reburn boot disc of last disc doesnt work or help, I will rename the last disc (for me last disc is backup.004.fbw) ill try backup.0004.fbw) adding that extra zero to see if it works...but I was under the assumption that the extra 0 was only needed for files that were over .009.fbw (so 10 and ups) but heck at this point its worth another disc to try... Any tips or suggestions from anyone on what else to try or do lmk,

I think those backup files are corrupted due to which you are getting that problem. I will recommend you to use some recovery tools to get back the old files. What is the size of those backup files. If that is in very few number then the actual backup file is missing and there is no issue with Vista backup tool.

I have successfully restored Vista backups after much frustration - similar problems to those discussed here.
    My solution was to be patient when the restore process starts. You will see a window which shows a progress meter - It stays at 0% for a long time. In my case I gave up too soon the first time. Then I transferred the exe and fbw files to another computer and tried again. This time I decided to wait forever if necessary to see what would happen. It took about an hour before the recovery actually started. I think the reason is that the recovery file is so large.
    If I had been more patient the first time on the original computer I'm sure it would have worked.

I noticed that if I tried to do the recovery a second time after stopping it, the recovery process wouldn't start. That is why I had to transfer the exe and fbw files to a different computer and try it again. Not a good solution for everyone - but if you can get the recovery to start - give it time - lots of time.

re: Windows Vista cannot find old backup files

Try this first …

Search for “Restorewiz.log” typically found in the following locations (might have hidden attributes):

- C:\System recovery Files\restorewiz.log

- C:\Users\<you>\ (?Application data\temp\restorewiz.log?)

Move, delete, or rename these log files and then retry restoring. It has been reported that this process can take a very long time and might show the progress at 0% for a longtime even though it is still running.

If this still fails … Please open the C:\System recovery Files\restorewiz.log and if at the top of this file it indicates “RESTOREWIZ v 1.0.3.37”. If so, please use the attached utility to extract your files.

Attached is a utility that should allow you to extract your data from *.FBW files.
    (This is not the ideal method, but only for emergency)

Please try the attached utility and let me know if it is successful for you.

Emergency Recovery Tool

• Double Click "Emergency Tool.exe"

• Click Load button

• Browse and locate & select the *.fbw file

• Click OK (the archive index is corrupt)

• Click Analyse button

• Click OK (notice the operation can take several hours.)

• <Remain time says "2 minutes" (11:36)> ... actually took 5+ minutes

• Click OK (End of the analysis)

• Click Emergency Extract (View screen)

• Browse to location where files should be extracted.

• Click OK

• Click Ignore All (Error while extracting)

• Click Open Folder

• Click Close ... Click Close ... Click red X to close

Extracting the data using this method is performed in a somewhat crude fashion if the normal RestoreWiz process does not work. While extracting your data appears possible this way, expect the exact names of the file to be lost requiring you to do some guessing on file names. However at least the data is accessible at this point and we tried to also identify the file types as well during this extraction.

How can I get the emergency recovery tool?

If you mean to do a bare-bones restore, then you must have been using
    Complete PC to backup your system. To do the restore you boot to the install
    DVD..

I want to thank Marcelo for saving me endless headaches and heartaches. After multiple calls to HP and searches on the Internet I found Marcelo's guidance and it worked perfectly for me. I used the first technique from his email and it worked. When Vista became corrupted I had to reintall it. I was prompted to backup, which I did to an external harddrive. After installing Vista I could see a 20 meg file on the K drive but when I tried to restore it RestoreWiz would take over the screen as if starting and then nothing happend. Based on Marcello's advice I simply changed the name of the two log files on my C drive by deleting the last letter. I then started Restorewiz.

As Marcelo noted the process stayed at 0% recovered for a long time (3-5 minutes) before restoring. But, then it worked.If this is old news to all of you forgive me. It is not old news to HP since they still don't now how to fix the problem. Nor is it old news the many frustrated Restorewiz I found on the net. Again... thank you Marcelo. I could use some more advice:
    I am now unclear how I use the recovered files and settings which are in a separate file on my C drive. I have reinsalled programs, but they lack the previous settings. I can access Word files, but how do I reset programs such as Outlook with my old data and preferences?