Thread: "Windows Setup experienced an unexpected error - Error Code: 0x0"

"Windows Setup experienced an unexpected error - Error Code: 0x0"

I bought a fresh copy of Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade edition and installed it on my self assembled desktop computer. There was no problem during the installation but later when i tried to run the upgrade, I got an error message saying:

“Windows Setup experienced an unexpected error. To install Windows, restart the installation. Error Code: 0x0”

I dint got the cause of this error but when I ran the same using another DVD drive, that is LG DVDRW Drive, the upgrade went fine. Earlier I was trying to ran the upgrade disk on HP DVD 640I DVDRW Drive that created the error. So is it the drive problem?

After spending some time on internet I came to know that the primary (Master) Drive hence it working with my secondary drive (LG), so I try swapping the drivers but the problem remained yet. Any idea what could be done here?

Re: "Windows Setup experienced an unexpected error - Error Code: 0x0"

I found the source of the problem. Just do one thing, open Control Panel and go to Device Manager. Here under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, here locate IDE channel and uncheck the Enable DMA option. That’s it. Better restart the computer and try again. Hopefully you won’t be getting any error messages any more.

I got the issue when I was trying to upgrade to Windows 7. I have Windows Vista already installed in my system. I want to update to the new OS so bought Windows 7 Home Premium. After running Windows 7 upgrade adviser I finally got a green signal to move ahead. The issue appear at copying temp file stage. The process crashed with error. The issue was fixed after disabling DMA Mode. You can find that in Device Manager. Right click on your Hard drive and click properties. Go to Advance Settings and at the bottom you can see a tick mark for Enable DMA. Remove it and try back.

Issue can be associated with the hard drive. There can be errors in it which is causing the issue. You have to first verify your hard drive for the same. You can go in Start and launch cmd. In that you will have to type the following command. The command is chkdsk /r /f and hit enter. This will check your disk and will generate a error log. In which you can find whether your drive has any bad sectors or not. If there are then you have to replace it for installation of windows. Take your data backup.