Thread: XP/Vista dual boot XP won't start from Vista boot manager

XP/Vista dual boot XP won't start from Vista boot manager

I have Partitioned my HDD with XP + Vista + Linux and i dont have any issue when i boot separately using GRUB boot loader. The problem is when i select XP option from GRUB, i dont know why is it redirecting me to Vista Boot Manager. If i select vista option from grub then i am redirected properly to Vista Boot Manager. Is there any thing i can try out so that windows manage these two boot options without such confusion?

RE: XP/Vista dual boot XP won't start from Vista boot manager

If you want then you can try using some Open Source tool for managing your booting. I dont think you will face any issue using it, Many people use it for managing their boot options and have no complains.

Re: XP/Vista dual boot XP won't start from Vista boot manager

I am aware of such Open Source tool but frankly speaking why should i use them? i mean as far as i am aware Microsoft has a workable dual boot solution for windows XP and windows vista on single hard drive. I think that i just need little bit of tweaking to point out XP option from GRUB to redirect me to xp boot manager rather than Vista Boot Manager. Currently i have kept Open Source tool as my last option and will like to know if there is anything else that i can try out.

I am aware of this issue and i will like to inform you that it happens so when ntldr is in wrong root directory. In order to fix it you will have to move it either in primary partition (C:\ntldr ) or in every root directory of all partition. First try moving it to primary partition if that doesn't help then copy it to every root directory of all partition and check out if that helps, Best of luck.

I really dont think i am running in to the issue you have mentioned, ntldr is already in primary partition (C:\ntldr ) and i am quite sure it should be there only rather than in every root directory of all partition. Let me know if there is anything else that i need to check out, any further help regarding this issue will be highly appreciative.

Hey Mitchell-Y i just wanted to know if you have tried holding down F8 while booting to XP? If not then give that a shot and let me know if you find it redirecting your properly after that.

I did try using F8 while booting to XP but no avail, anyways i have noticed that when i am selecting xp option from grub then i am not redirected directly to Vista boot manager rather my system is first rebooting. redirecting me to boot manager options after that.

Just recheck if you are having both new Boot Manager and old ntldr on the Active partition. You need to have ntldr, ntdetect and boot.ini onto the active partition. You should also make sure that you are pointing the new Boot Manager to right partition. Just confirm these things first. If at all you face any issue even after having these thing set up properly then feel free to ask, i will try helping you out with other possible solutions.

I have a similar problem, I have Vista on one HD and XP on another HD, but my computer will only boot to Vista and it doesn't see XP. What do I need to do to get my computer to recognize both operating systems.

Quote Originally Posted by pballen View Post
    I have a similar problem, I have Vista on one HD and XP on another HD, but my computer will only boot to Vista and it doesn't see XP. What do I need to do to get my computer to recognize both operating systems.
    You have to check first whether your motherboard has SATA drivers available on CD or for download. Sometimes they must be presented during installation and other times not, depending on the motherboard. If your hard drive isn't 'seen,' that's usually the main reason. Be sure to install XP first, regardless of which HD you're installing it to. Vista uses a new boot loader, which will be overwritten if another OS is installed afterwards. That would lead to Vista being unbootable and force you to perform a repair installation before you every use the OS.