Thread: Hard Drive Comparison for Windows Vista setup

Hard Drive Comparison for Windows Vista setup

I am adding a new hard drive on my Windows Vista system. The olde on is a SeaGate 500GB hard drive. And the new that I bought is a 1TB from Western Digital. I formatted my pc and install Vista back from scratch. On my last hard drive when I use Vista, the performance was low. Copy paste takes really long time and also the boot time was increased. But on the new one it is more better. The OS is same, but works really well on the new one. I was not going to format. It was due to some virus issue I completely wiped out anything. So I just want to know how does the hard drive puts a impact on Vista setup. It is just the storage space. I am willing to buy more hard drives for my other system. Does going for WD is good.

Re: Hard Drive Comparison for Windows Vista setup

Being a new hardware the performance simply improves automatically. The drive spins faster than the old one also there are on bad sectors due to which you system output is enhanced automatically. It is recommended that you must install the OS on the new one and use the second one for data backup.

The performance of a hard drive can be counted on the basis of rpm and its SATA interface. Today you can easily find a 6GB/s SATA interface hard drive on the web. The drive features a good rpm with great data transfer capacity. But if you are using it on old SATA interface of your motherboard then you cannot use it completely. There will be limitation. Hard Drives are capable of boosting your system performance. Different hard drive comes with different rpm speed. Some comes with 5400 rpm and some comes with 7000 rpm. Here rpm stands for rounds per minute. The higher the rpm the better will be performance. Low rpm makes a system also slow. Not it was in old system where we use to get a 400rpm drive. You cannot rely on them to give you proper output. I think the new on which you had purchased has a 7000 rpm. With 1TB space you can simply keep anything in that. Create only 2 to 3 partitions. Do not create more. For your old hard drive I will recommend you to run some test to find out bad sectors in it. Launch cmd and in that type chkdsk. Due to bad sectors your drive performance is simply affected. There are many tools available on web that offers you drive performance test. Through which you can find out whether a hard drive here is worth to buy or not.

Hard drive does not put much impact on the setup and performance. What matters here is the system memory. The RAM. The higher ram you have the faster your system will work. Before when I was having a 1GB RAM, Vista setup on that takes almost 40 minutes which is reduces to 20 after adding 1GB RAM stick more on that.

I think most of the hard drive today comes with 7200 rpm only. This are good for any system. The installation process does not matter much. What require is system output in long run. If your system is not really working fine in long run, then you will get a bit irritated. I am having a 500GB hard drive on my system. I am also using a Vista system. I was trying to install some games which failed to work. Also the setup of that game was around 4GB. It first took really long time to install and after that I found that the game also failed to work. The I added a ram stick to the system with cheap 512mb graphic card. The game worked. This shows that there are different set of hardware which works differently. For performance stuff RAM is great. The more you have the better system works. And for graphical work you need a good gpu. 512mb is very low video memory. I had made a list of different graphics card and I am going to buy this time a DDR3 1GB Graphic Card .That would be simply great for output. Hard drive usually act as a mode of storage but it also server as page file to Windows. Page file is a kind of virtual memory. So if the rpm is greater here your system performance also increased to great extent.

Recently added Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM hard drive on my system. For data backup it is great. The speed has really increased to great extent compared to my older drive. According to me the system performance here depends on the overall output of different hardware in the system. It just do not rely on the hard disk.

The rpm thing here is helpful for those who are really serious about data backup. Like taking regular data backup from one pc and copying them to some other in the network. If the drive speed here is slow the data backup process really long time. Among all hard drive in the market the best one is Western Digital VelociRaptor. This drive offers you 10,000 rpm. That means it is 30% better than any existing drive in the market offering 7200 rpm. You have to also remember one more thing. The higher the rpm is the more heat generated in the system. So you cannot use them constantly for really long time. That is why sticking a a mid range hardware is recommended and it also lies inside the budget. There is a long list of hard drive available under 7200 rpm. You can just buy any one you want. The price of drives from 500GB to 3TB lies between Rs. 3,500 to Rs.8,500. So you have more choices compare to 10,000 rpm and it is also in budget with more space.