Thread: Migrating Vista setup on a different pc

Migrating Vista setup on a different pc

I am having a laptop that Vista Home Basic and all my data. I am getting a new laptop from my office. It is having Windows XP. I am looking about some option by which I can migrate all files and folders of my laptop to my office laptop. I tried to find that on web, but it looks I can just copy paste stuff here. I am not worry about the data. I had checked the laptop, it supports Vista. So does there is a way by which I can simply move my entire files with OS to the office laptop. Is there any tool available for that.

Re: Migrating Vista setup on a different pc

No you cannot. There is no way to migrate a operating system. You can just more your files. That's also. Also for that there are some automated backup tools that can regularly backup your files and keep them at one place so that you can access them anytime you want.

If you are having the Vista installation disc then you can do that. You just install the operating system on your office pc and copy your files. The process that you are asking cannot be done through any tool. You will need to first install the OS in the system and the second thing you will do is copy the files. That's all. That is one of the best way to backup content. Windows XP is also fair enough in terms of interface. You can use it for sometime and later on upgrade to Vista when needed. While transferring the OS is not possible. There are many things which are needed to be consider here. First there is a hard drive id which is identified by the bios to boot windows. That will be changed. Then comes the system files, drivers, etc. It is better if you simply try to migrate the data which is more appropriate to some extent. Do not just go for copy pasting. Try to first make your system up and then go for other kind of changes or modification. There are some automated tools which can help you for the migration but it is applicable for data files only.

That can be done through cloning a disk image. But to migrate there must be exactly the same kind of system with same hardware along with same partition size. Then only the migration will work or else it will give you a blue screen error.

I can list you some data migration tool which can help you in migrating the data. I use to copy my files and settings whenever I change my system. This works on file level only. You cannot do anything with Windows here. When you move to another pc you just need to install the software and import your files. That's all. The first one is User State Migration Tool. It is a free tool and help you to migrate the user account from your pc. You can simply backup your user settings here and copy them to the new pc. It is works automatically and really effective for large networks. Another one is Parallel Desktop. Which is one of the advance tools available in migration. This one will be best for you according to me. Just download and install this tool in your pc and then use the migration. It allows you to migrate files, programs and many thing through simple clicks. It is very effective. I always use this ample of time whenever I move to different system. I do not have to always copy my file every time.

I am using Parallel Desktop. It is really great. I think there is no other tools available which can match it features. As the name says you can run the same kind of settings in different pc. Migration process here is very simple and works fine. Just try this one and then test back.

I think you must try the below tool. Called as Easy Transfer this tool works with few clicks and allow you to transfer files and settings. The tool comes separately for different version of windows. Download the 32bit edition and run the same. The tool scan your pc and backup files, email, picture and settings. It is really very effective. If you are having the same edition of Windows operating system next to you then you just need to install the same and import everything through this. It is lightweight and works fine. Once migrated you do not need to do things manually. It does not works for applications. That is one of the negative aspect. It is just great for files. For application you will need to download them manually one by one. I found this tool really effective. I always use my office laptop for work. When I am on vacation I have to leave the laptop at office. In that case to get the same kind of settings at my home I use this tool.

Windows Easy Transfer

Windows Easy Transfer is effective. But if you need advance options then go for Parallel Desktop. It is another great tool for migration. There are bit bugs with Parallel desktop. Ample of time application migrated does not work well.