Thread: Boot Error 1516 "Partition improperly dismounted"

Boot Error 1516 "Partition improperly dismounted"

I have deleted a partition using power quest partition magic 8 and don't recognize it now. I just remember that it was a small (7-8 MB) partition. The problem that i am facing now is that while booting when my system tries to boot IDE-0 then it fails and give me an error message saying "Cannot find NTLDR".

I have tried booting my system with a copy of partition magic 8 on floppy disk to check out my my hard drive but then while running error check i am getting another error message saying "1516 partition improperly dismounted". I have checked reading this issue in other forums and have found some people mentioning running "chkdsk" command will be a good idea in such case but other problem is that the drive that i had deleted wasn't having any letter assigned. It came up as "* :" , since it was not having any letter assigned I cant run check disk for solving the issue. I just wanted to know if there is anything i can tryout rather than backing up all data and reinstalling windows?

Re: Boot Error 1516 "Partition improperly dismounted"

This is a common issue with this partition manager tools. This is really a risky process because it can destroy your existing partitions also. Try to run chkdsk /f from the command prompt. You can get that with the help of Windows bootable disc. Anyhow I do not think partition magic 8 comes with any kind of restore partition option. Incase of any data in your system use LiveCD to have backup first.