Thread: windows vista crashes whenever installing service pack 1

windows vista crashes whenever installing service pack 1

This is the third time I have tried to installed windows vista service Pack 1 on my desktop. Every time I have tried to install it vista crashes and goes through a blue screen error. I don't know what's going on. Because I want to update my computer. But I can't, I have tried downloading the exe file from the site and i have tried the update center on windows which also crashed. Please help

Re: windows vista crashes whenever installing service pack 1

First of all you need to check whether you are installing Service Pack 1 for the 64 bit operating sytem or the 32 bit? What is the blue screen error you are getting? You will need to tell us about the error code that is generated. They can be found in c:\windows\minidump. Just get ALL of them regardless of the number. You will have to copy them out to another folder before you will be able to zip them up.

Well it is 32 bit and the blue screen error flashes too fast to even read the first word but when I do start up repair it just sits there

And I can't check any files because my pc won't even come up.

You may need to start your computer in safe mode and then uninstall Service pack 1 in Control panel. Reboot and just wait for Service pack 1 in Windows Update in normal bootup. And incase if the SP1 doesn't appear then it simply means that your system isn't ready yet for SP1. You might want to update all the drivers first in device manager using the update option. You might want to check also your BIOS if it needs to be updated.

This is the problem right now I am at start up repair for the second time today because geek squad told me to do a hard reset

I turn it off by holding thenpower button down
    Then I reboot giving me these options
    - safe mode
    - safe mode with networking
    - safe mode with command prompt
    And start normally

So I
    Press safe mode it starts to check everything
    When it gets to like 700-900/9000 or 90,000 I don't remember at the moment
    Getting to those numbers takes like 2-5 seconds

Once it does that a blue screen flashes with a bunch of text fir maybe a second can't even read the first word

And then reboots
    After that it says
    Windows could not start
    - launch startup repair
    - stat normally

So I press start normally and then it shows the green scrolling bar and Microsoft then reboots and gives the previous 2 options

So I press start up repair which is what I had to do the last to times vista auto updated and did this stuff

And nowbit has been sitting jere just saying attempting repairs for he past 3-4 hours this morning I was talking with geek squad and it was sitting there for about 4-5 hours when they told me to restart my pc

So I can't access windOs or control panel to uninstall anything let alone get to where I can even log in with my password

I would send a pic but I can't u

What I can say in this situation is, normally with a operating system disk it should work and repair, I think your computer has been bricked, or there is some serious hardware issue, you might have to take it to a local PC repair centre as I have clearly ran out on what this problem can be. But with just Vista and with the repair CD, you have to wait awhile like 10-15mins with the green vista background to get into the installation menu. From there clicking next will enable you to access the repair option.