Thread: Vista Easy File Transfer and Windows 7 Upgrade

Vista Easy File Transfer and Windows 7 Upgrade

Currently my system is running on windows vista and i am willing to install windows 7 but before that i wanted to know if i will be able to use Easy File Transfer for retaining my Outlook, Web Settings as i dont want to loose data, favorites, contacts, files or emails. Does anyone has any idea regrading it?

Re: Vista Easy File Transfer and Windows 7 Upgrade

Yes you can, you just need to use latest version of Easy File Transfer for Windows 7 for retaining such data from Windows XP and Windows Vista system. you will have to install windows 7 first and carry out the transfer from Vista installation .

As far as i am aware you will be able to use Easy Transfer for transferring files but i dont think you will be able to transfer any registry settings, you will have to install all applications again and change the setting accordingly.

You can store all key files on some other drive say x:\User\abc by changing location of icons of Contacts, Desktop, Documents etc pointing them to User\abc and save the registry location of your message 123 (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\123 ). Once you have done that you can do clean installation of Windows 7, when installation gets completed you can change locations of your personal icons by pointing them to new drive using windows easy transfer , reinstall your applications and simply run message 123 .reg file and you are done. You settings will get backed up automatically. I just want to add that i haven't tried this but have come across one who had tried it out successfully, so if you face any issues then post back i will try to help you out with that as well.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions, i will surely try out what you all have mentioned here but before that i wanted to know one more thing. Do i need to make a clean install of windows 7 or i will have to go with upgrade installation and then carry out the tasks mentioned here using using windows easy transfer? i am bit confused. Further help regrading this will be appreciated.

A friend has had a problem with Easy Transfer when he upgraded (via a clean install) from Vista Home Premium (32-bit) to Win 7 Home Premium (64-bit). He used the latest Easy Transfer on the Vista (old PC) and saved it to an external hard drive. Once he had Win 7 installed and programs re-installed he ran Easy Transfer (new PC) but got an error (see attachment) "Easy Transfer could'nt open the file". He spent some time with a Microsoft Support person but the problem was not solved. I, and many other friends had no problem whatsoever with Easy Transfer including the case where one went from a Vista 32-bit to Win 7 64-bit. Based on that, I don't believe going from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Win 7 contributed to the problem. Has anyone had a similar problem? If a solution was found, I'd like to hear about it. I've suggested to my friend to do run CHKDSK on his external hard drive to see if perhaps it might fix the Easy Transfer file so that it can be used. Other than that, I know of nothing else to try.

I have upgraded Vista to Windows 7 with a clean install. Use of Easy Transfer is the ticket. On your Visat PC, use the very leates version of Easy Transfer from Microsoft (DO NOT USE THE ONE BUILT INTO VISTA!). In Easy Transfer you specify your Vista PC as the "old" one. Use an external hard drive for the Easy Transfer file. I'd recommend doing a full backup of your Vista "just in case". Now do the clean install of Windows 7. Easy Transfer takes care of all the Windows Settings including Office. It will also transfer some settings of non-Microsoft products. Before you do the Easy Transfer back to your newly installed Win 7, re-install all your programs first. This is the only way to get back the settings for non-Microsoft sofware. Now you are ready to do the Easy Transfer to restore all your files/folders/settings/etc. The Easy Transfer built into Win 7 is fine to use - you don't need to use a new download. When you run the Easy Transfer, specify the PC (now with Win 7 installed) as the "new machine". Let it crank and do it's thing. Voila, you're done!
    There have been problems, historically with Easy Transfer of your Outlook files. The latest Easy Transfer doesn't solve this - unfortunately. The problem seems to be a corruption of your Outlook profile. All messages, contacts, calendars, etc. are moved with no problem. In my case my contacts are not recognized at all when I tray to address new messages. If I clicked the "To" button and searched for an addressee, it showed no contacts in my Personal Folders or any other contact folders. What I had to do was to create new Outlook accounts to create a new Outlook profile and PST file and then copy/paste contacts from the old PST file (as it came over in Easy Transfer). A bit of work, but I got back to where I wanted to be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails et-couldnt-open-file-png  

Thanks for replies. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. The Easy Transfer built into Vista was not used. I know that latest Easy Transfer works better than it's predecessors. The newest Easy Transfer for Vista to Win 7 was downloaded from the Microsoft website. This is what was used. Easy Transfer used on the PC in question to an external hard drive worked with no problem. Win 7 was then installed on that PC using a clean install. All programs were re-installed. After re-installing programs, Easy Transfer was attempted to restore folders/files/settings from the Easy Transfer file on the external hard drive. This is what failed with the message that the Easy Transfer file could not be opened. This is the first time I have heard that Easy Transfer has failed to restore folders/files/settings from the PC with a older version of Windows or to a new PC. Don P