Thread: Hidden partition recovery dell xps 420

Hidden partition recovery dell xps 420

I ma having Dell xps 420 desktop and there was "repair my computer" option in advanced boot options menu previously but it is not there any more. I dont know what went wrong with my system. f8 option doesn't seem to be working either. I want to know if there is anything i can try to access hidden recovery partition ?

See if you had not made a recovery discs from that partition then you wont be able to access that hidden recovery partition normally. If you are able to enter windows then see if you come across any option for creating recovery discs in your Dell area. If you dont find any option related to it then better contact Dell support, address them the issue you are facing and check out what they have to say about it. If possible ask them to send you Recovery disk.

re: Hidden partition recovery dell xps 420

In that case you can follow below steps:
    1. Connect a external HDD to your system,install vista on it, download trial version of Acronis and unhide recovery partition.
    2. Boot from external HDD, format your primary HDD partiton where you are having vista installed, check out for recovery image (factory.wim) explore for eg D:\dell\image\factory.wim. Drive letter might vary in your case.
    3. Once you get it open command prompt, type "cd tools" without quotes and hit enter, then "imagex/apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\" without quotes. Path of factory.wim might vary so make sure that you are typing correct one.
    4. So now d: will be your source where as c: will be destination and you will be able to see the recovering process. Just wait until recovering process gets completed. Once it gets completed simply reboot your system follow some few simple steps and you are done.

If you are not having an external drive to connect then you can follow below steps:
    • Insert your vista cd and boot from it, there are possibilities of source drive letter getting changed while booting from CD. So in order to find out new drive letter of the image, click on install now > Select repair computer > Click on "NO" for attempt to recover startup window pop up > Select System recovery options > Select operating system and click on next.
    • You can now check out the drive letter having .wmi image and make a note of it.
    • After that open command prompt type below command and hit enter.
      x:
      cd tools
      imagex/apply x:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\
    • Where x is source directory, the one having .wmi image.
    • As soon as you hit enter after typing above command , recovery process will get started and will end probably after 15 minutes.
    • Your system will get restarted after completing recovery process and your factory settings should get loaded.
    • If at all you dont find factory settings loaded and you get startup recovery window pop up while your system restarts then check out for "Dell Restore PC settings option" in there and click on restore image and it should get loaded after that.

I was facing similar issue and i dint had external drive so i followed Sudhir-BITSian solution and it worked. Thanks a lot for your help!