Thread: Two Program Files folders in Windows Vista x64

Two Program Files folders in Windows Vista x64

I had just installed Windows Vista 64bit on my system. It was installed properly and there were no issues at all. But I found that my C drive has very less space. It is a 40GB partition and I was expecting that Windows might take maximum 10GB. But it almost out of space. When I checked inside I found two Program Files folder. One has (x86) added in the end. Does removing the same is safer. How can I clean up Windows partition.

I do not think the issue lies with that folder. You can right click on that and check the size. The folder is created separately to run for 32bit software. I think you had installed Windows Vista x64 over your existing windows without formatting the partition. Due to which there will be a folder created in your system as windows.old. You must remove that. Or the best thing you can do is just run disk cleanup and check again.

Check for each folder. 10GB space for Windows is too much. I think it consume maximum 4GB to 6GB. Above that means there are some additional stuff inside your C drive. It can be that windows.old folder. You must open that first and check whether you require any old files or not. If not then, only you must format the system.