Thread: System hangs randomly and error with WMI (?)

System hangs randomly and error with WMI (?)

Hi all :)

I have a strange problem with Vista.
    I just bouth a new computer and installed the 32bit vista.

The problem I'm facing is quite strange and annoying. The system hangs randomly and I can't even go to the task manager to see if there's a program I should close.
    It can happen 5 sec from boot into Vista or 1 hour after working or browsing or just listening to music.

I've ran checkdisk and my HD came out clean however I found this strange error which happens about the same time my system hangs:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-WMI
    [ Guid] {1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}
    [ EventSourceName] WinMgmt

- EventID 10

[ Qualifiers] 49152

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2008-05-22T17:54:10.000Z

EventRecordID 2112

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 0
    [ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer Studio

Security

- EventData

//./root/CIMV2
    SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99
    0x80041003

How can I fix it and do you think it's related?

I hope it's not a hardware problem.

Thanks a lot :)

Gil L.

Dave Guest
    Try Googling "EVENT FILTER WITH QUERY"
    It looks like something to do with SP1

The politically correct way to describe this occurrence is that the system
    "stops responding to user input". Otherwise you risk accusing Microsoft of
    distributing inferior product.

Cheers

Im having the exact problem with vista myself!!!

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

not sure if this is same problem u have or had but curious if u found out how to fix this, cause im having the same hang up issues after i see this in the event viewer!!! also using vista...
    hangs up at least once an hour, not liking this at all!!!! dont want to have to reinstall vista!!!
    [QUOTE=Earle Horton;3756799]The politically correct way to describe this occurrence is that the system
    "stops responding to user input". Otherwise you risk accusing Microsoft of
    distributing inferior product.

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but this is killing me, absolutely killing me. My system freezes and becomes completely un responsive to anything, requiring a hard reboot and then I go and check the event viewer and voillah, the same exact thing as the first post.

//./root/CIMV2
    SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99
    0x80041003

Event ID 10
    Local ID 1033

Please does anyone have a solution to this? I just reinstalled windows because of this, and it is still doing it!

Thank you for the support, when I googled that error it gave me that page. Is that only to make it stop logging in event viewer? Will the problem still persist if I run the script but it just won't appear in event viewer any more?

hjp1973 Guest
    Please see the weblink:
    'Event ID 10 is logged in the Application log after you install Windows
    Vista Service Pack 1' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950375/en-us/)

Yakumo Guest

re: System hangs randomly and error with WMI (?)

I have exactly the same problem and would also like to know if the MS fix
    only stops logging the problem, but not the cause or crash.

I've had 2 total system freezes this week on a _very_ clean v64 ultimate
    system (with sp1 and all windows updates except the language packs) which has
    been flawless for months.

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60
    WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage
    > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error

0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem
    is corrected.

There is a suggested fix here :
    http://www.msfn.org/board/Here-s-how...s-t114389.html
    of taking ownership of and deleting the contents of
    "C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Repository."

but I would very much like official Microsoft input on this.

What I have done is deleted the C:\Windows\System32\Wbem\Repository files in safe mode and that removed the error in my event log. The script in the microsoft article does not do anything. I've heard someone saying that a WMI error like this shouldnt effect anything like a system freeze, but suggested that a system freeze triggers the error after the system has frozen if that makes sense. I got rid of the error and I still get the occasional system freezes. Here is what EVGA support told me (don't ask why EVGA). They said since I had a 4 stick setup of RAM which I bought from newegg in a quantity of two (2 packs of 1x1gb 2 gb total) making a total of 4 one gig sticks. The specs the manufacturer gave were for a 2 stick setup, not a 4 stick setup. I called mushkin and they gave me new timings voltages and everything and I have yet to get the system freeze again. I basically changed all of my timings very slightly and increased SPP voltage from 1.500 to 1.550 and that helped as well. Hope this helps.

Fix for the problem

Microsoft has provided a fix for the problem at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950375/en-us/

MAKE SURE YOU RUN THE PROVIDED SCRIPT IN SAFE MODE
    OR IT WILL NOT WORK.

That is already proved to not solve the problem. The script only removes the error category from logging in the future but does not solve the problem itself.

I am also suffering this problem and tried what above poster said and nothing.

Solved for now.

used Orthos Prime to test the CPU and RAM and found that RAM had some problems. Well its more the Mobo having the slots a bit ****ed. so increased the voltage of the memory and works fine.

Download the Orthos program and test those things if u find that problem u could try it.

I think this problem is like the typical BSOD from XP with the error message meaning thousand of possible things.

Orthos basically stress test the CPU and memories.

To increase the voltage of the CPU and Memories you must do it in BIOS. Then start a test with Orthos and leave it that way.

If my voltage was too high the computer freezes, then i lowered it till the test could end and no more problems.

A step by step is only launching the most complete test, if i remember correctly the same program tells you which test is more intensive inside brackets.

As for the voltage of CPU and memories i think i cannot help you much since every motherboard manufacturer has their own bios categories and names, so it wouldnt be the same BIOS layout for you and me.

How exactly does Orthos Work and how do you increase voltage?

Man I've tried a few of the easier solutions and they didn't work. Now I've got nothing but possible solutions I barely understand if at all lol.

Can you give a step by step process of what you did with Orthos?

I'd like to add another clue to this:

I don't have the problem in safe mode.

Anyone understand why?

Further explanation:

Problem:

(actually, I'm getting lots of errors including lockup)

Why: I don't get the errors or locking up if I run in safe mode. It's like it's a service problem.