Thread: Uninstall Language Pack

GradonSilverton Guest

Uninstall Language Pack

So I decided tonight to uninstall my spectacular Ultimate Extra Language
    Packs so I could install SP1... and what a shock. Am I missing something here
    or are you limited to just removing 1 Language at a time... taking 30+
    minutes from start to finish... never mind that fact that you can select all
    of the languages you want to remove.

Is this by design? Anyone else run into this issue?

Earle Horton Guest

Re: Uninstall Language Pack

Is this Microsoft Office Language Pack 2007 language packs you are talking
    about here? I have the German one installed, and I am not about to remove
    it so I can install some SP1 thingy.

btw, I live in a place called Silverton

Tamas Guest

RE: Uninstall Language Pack

I have the EXACT same problem. After I mark all the languages to be removed,
    it goes through them which takes FOREVER and at the end lets me know that the
    1st one one the list was removed successfully, the rest failed. If it's by
    design, why can I choose multiple languages in the wizard to uninstall?

GradonSilverton Guest

No, these are the Language Packs those of us who purchased Vista Ultimate are
    rewarded with as Extras (hope the sarcasm is coming through there). There are
    something like 30 of them total, but when they started installing I was able
    to keep all but 13 or so off my PC (smallest that installed was 0.6 GB,
    Largest was >0.8 GB... that's a ton for a Notebook).

GradonSilverton Guest
    That is exactly what I am experiencing... but let's not forget the 30+
    minutes per language the whole process takes (Uninstall & Reboot).

So are you gonna wait until they release SP1 for all languages or spend the
    time and remove the unnecessary language packs?

I feel home in this thread.
    Actually, I feel like i'm a King in a castle, since I've the same problems as you, but with a nasty bonus - which I may call enhancement: I have configured my beautiful WinVista 64 to download and install all the 30+ languages, by pure curiosity (wanted to see how heavy where the files). As the download started, I've clicked on stop. The updates where canceled and, of course, so did the download...
    ...pure bs. Every time I start Windows, the windows update starts rolling and there's NOTHING I can do about.
    This is the enhancement I talked about: I'll have to uninstall, one by one, all the 30+ languages. But first I need to patiently sit and wait for the downloads and installations to finish.

I had this problem too. I'm referring to only being able to remove one language at a time.

I loaded the SP fine and every update and/or hotfix, didn't do squat for this problem.

So here is how you can remove ALL the language packs at ONCE:

Disable System Restore, then remove them all, then of course (up to you), turn it back on.

With system restore enable only one language pack can be removed at a time, and I don't know why that's the by design. I personally don't use system restore I use other tools to keep full and incremental states of the system.

It's funny with all the Googling I couldn't find this information from someone else.

What tipped my off was each time you kick it off you see it Creating a system restore point, and it only does that before the first language.

I have no good explanation but I tried the same steps on another vista machine and same problem, but now I have to redeem my earlier incorrect solution so I will look into this more.

I have no idea why it worked on one machine but not another, I must be missing something.

citacomp Guest
    I am still going to try this on a laptop. The user says they hid all of the language packs when they first did updates and have no clue how many of the packs got onto their machine. They total 13.6GB which is unacceptable on a laptop. Hopefully it works. I'll post the results.

It did not work, well i guess I am going to take a few days and slowly uninstall them one by one. It is taking around an hour for each one. Fun.

If your language packs are failing when you try to uninstall them, disable UAC and system restore, then do this:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archiv...rver-2008.aspx

It fixed my problems!! :)