Thread: Delete Folders in Windows Media Center library

Delete Folders in Windows Media Center library

Hi, i am using Windows Vista Ultimate since a month now. Everything is working fine but i have few problems with my Windows Media Center 11. No matter in picture or video library, somehow i use to get some extra folders. I dont know from where it is coming but i would like to delete these folders.

Now there are some folders having pictures but most of them dont have any pictures in them. So the folders having pictures can be deleted but what about the ones having no pictures? I am not able to delete them. Can anyone please tell me how can delete those folders?

Many thanks.

Re: Delete Folders in Windows Media Center library

Remove Unwanted Folders from Library in Windows Media Center

FOUND SOLUTION TO KNOWN BUG
    It seems there is a known bug in certain versions of Windows Media Center (ie, Vista Home Premium, Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 Beta) in which even when you remove a folder from a music/picture library in Media Center, items from those folders are not actually removed from the Library. I searched around and didn’t see much help, until finally I found this solution from a guy who works at Microsoft:

I had no problem with doing this since I just wanted to reset the library completely and do a re-index.

Since Windows Media Center and Media Player share the same database (or library), these instructions will resolve problems for both applications at same time.

The instructions are:
    Exit Windows Media Player.

For Windows XP:
    Click Start, click Run, type: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player, and then click OK.

For Windows Vista:
    Click Start, click Run, type: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player,
    and then click OK.

Select all the files (not folders), and then click Delete on the File menu.
    Note: You do not have to delete the folders that are in this folder.

Restart Windows Media Player.

Note Windows Media Player automatically rebuilds the database.

After deleting all the files, Windows Media Center’s library was completely reset. This procedure removed all of the unwanted (or invalid) folders that I could not remove before and I re-added the folders I wanted. Everything has worked fine since.

Hopefully this post will help other’s who might run into the same problem.

Re: Delete Folders in Windows Media Center library

I found this post after a few different searches were no help. I was having the problem in Windows 7 Media Center where the slideshow screensaver was showing pictures that had been deleted from the computer. Even worse, I removed the folders containing the files from bot my Pictures Library settings and made sure it was also not included in Media Center Media Library settings, yet the pictures still appeared in my screen saver. Using the infromation here and my familiarity with Windows 7 found the location of the databasemedia library database files and deleted them (actually just moved them to a different folder first for safety) and went back into Media Center to find that it was working hard on rebuilding my media library. I am really that all the way into RTM of Windows 7 Ultimate this is *still* an issue (deleted content is not removed from the media library) and especially that the picture library is not separate from the music library and *all* of my music now has to be re-indexed, but, hopefully this helps someone else resolver their issue.

I found the files in the folder:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

Keywords: Windows 7 media center pictures library slideshow slide show screen saver screensaver old delete deleted remove removed still showing appearing
    Last edited by Xantheon; 16-03-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: edited key words for better search results for others with the same issue