Thread: How to turn off Sony Vaio Touchpad

How to turn off Sony Vaio Touchpad

My wife owns a Sony Vaio laptop and I need some option to disable that. I am looking for some easy options. As at the time of typing the fingers touch the pad which disturbs a lot. In many laptop I had seen buttons which are used to turn on and off the touchpad, but mine lack that. I need a quick option which we can disable that at the time of typing and then turn the same on again quickly. Is there any software available for that. I had tried to find the settings under Control Panel > Mouse. But nothing is listed over there. Thanks.

re: How to turn off Sony Vaio Touchpad

You can do that from Device Manager. You can keep a shortcut of the same on your desktop. It has a option to disable the touchpad and then enable it when you need. Right click on My Computer > Properties > Device Manager. In that look for touchpad and then right click on it and click on Disable. That's all. It will be stopped and you can enable it after you want. That is the easy and frequent way. For better typing I use a separate usb keyboard. It is much easier in many ways. The separate keyboard provides more space and wider keys to use.

That would be a bit complicated I think. Disabling from Device Manager is not turning off your hardware it is like your making it permanent of no use. On re-enable it will try to look for new drivers. I know a small software that can work. It is called as touchpad pal. I had used this long ago, and I am not sure whether you find the same or not. There is one more way to disable. It is done from bios and it is will need to reboot system by enabling and disabling them again and again. Another thing there is a utility that I use in my office. It is called as Touch Freeze. When you are typing this application disables the Touchpad for sometime. Later on you can activate it again.

There is no need to make changes through Bios or Device Manager. Ample of laptop has a touchpad manager software that works in system tray. Check somewhere near clock. You can see a Touchpad manager tool. Double click on that. If you are not able to locate that then simply go inside Control Panel and then click on Hardware and sound. In that look for Devices and Printers and click on Mouse. In the properties there is a tab of Touchpad. Click on that and click on Disable. That's all. To enable that back again just click on that again and you are done.

There is one more utility that do this. For that you have to go in C:\Program Files\Sony\Setting Utility Series. Look for VCCPointingDevice.exe and run that. In that you can see the option to enable and disable that. You can create as shortcut of the same on desktop. Just right click and create shortcut. This is the best way. Some laptops does not has this, but I had seen in many Sony Vaio systems. There is a Synaptic Touchpad Manager installed in most of the system. You have to launch the utility and then click on Disable to stop it.

There are very less tools that can help you to do that if any of the above solutions does not worked at all. I own a Sony system too. When I am tying by mistake if I touch the pad, the mouse jumps to another location. It is a bit annoying stuff. Also there is no over we can put on the touch pad. Go on Start and below in the search box type Vaio Support Central. In that click on Touch Pad options. here you can stop them out. Getting into bios is a bit complicated but the only solution lies for old computers.

Help! I've just reformatted the hard drive on my Sony Vaio and installed Windows 7 (to escape the dreaded Vista originally installed). Now I've discovered I need a copy of "vccpointingdevice.exe" as mentioned elsewhere on this thread, to control my touchpad. Can't find a copy anywhere through Google. Can anyone help with a location for a copy? Thanx.

Gordon - The problem is twofold - My exact Model Number of Vaio is "not found" on the Sony Website when I do a search for it. So I don't get any further in trying to get into their "Support" area. Secondly I believe what they have are bundled packages of drivers, in ".EXE", executable format, which probably unbundles a whole heap of drivers & (maybe) installs them for a particular model. I don't want to do this as who knows what this might do to my Windows 7 setup, which otherwise is running very nicely. I'm hoping that someone with a Vaio of around the right model, say about 3 years ago, will be able to make it available for me out of their \Sony folder... I do have a request in with Sony for help on this but have heard nothing so far. It will be interesting so see if a real person answers, rather than the usual "canned" automated responses one usually get from manufacturers, which have nothing to do with the exact problem... Peter.

Disable the Sony Vaio TouchPad - After my Vaio was installed with Windows 7, I had the problem of accidentally touching the TouchPad and the cursor jumping somewhere else. I prefer to just use a mouse. I tried using some of the other recommendations that I had found, however the Sony Support Central did not exist, neither did Sony Setting Utility Series or VCCPointingDevice.exe.
    Maybe the Windows 7 install blows these all away.

The solution given to me was to type "mouse" at the Start /search button, select the Control Panel - Mouse item, go to "Device settings" where it has Synaptics Pointing Device, and shows a device of "Wheel Mouse", and click on Disable.

Can also be used then to Enable it again if you want to.

you should be able to open the VAIO control center and disable the touch pad there. that is how I disabled mine and it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I want to turn the touchpad off on my wifes sony vaio
    but in control panel it isnt ther under the mouse icon - where do i control
    the touchpad?
    Thanks
    Eric
    Search "Vaio" in start menu search. 2) Select "Vaio Control Center" 3) Select "keyboard and mouse" 4) Select "Pointing Device" 5) Uncheck "Enable"

You may receive an error that states something like "You must click at least once" This only means you need to double click with your mouse. To change more settings like turning off the multi-touch functions of your touch-pad click "Advanced" in the lower selections. Hope this helps :)

Found the solution for his today.

Install the synaptics driver from here.

(don't think it really matters what model vaio you have, as long as you don't already have the driver)

Restart the computer to complete the install

In Mouse under control panel, select the synpatics tab and disable the mouse.

Done.