Thread: BOOTMGR is compressed. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart - What to do?

BOOTMGR is compressed. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart - What to do?

Hi friends, I need some urgent help from you all. I am using a Dell laptop with Windows Vista Ultimate edition. Yesterday night when I turned off my laptop, it was working fine but today morning when I started it again it received the following error message:

"BOOTMGR is compressed. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

I tried restarting several times but it gets stuck on the same. Can anyone please tell me what has gone wrong on itself over night? How can I fix this issue? Please help.

Re: BOOTMGR is compressed. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart - What to do?

Bit surprising for me as i have heard "Bootmgr missing" but haven't seen or heard any error message before saying "Bootmgr is compressed". By the way as it says to press Ctrl+Alt+Del, what happens when you do the same? Also specifically when does the error appears, i mean exactly at what stage during the bootup?

I think the boot manager file has been corrupted, hence the problem appears. You should insert your Vista installation DVD in the system and try to repair the system. It will definitely fix the problem.

Re: BOOTMGR is compressed. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart - What to

Thanks for the help Brandy. I tried all that but still got the same error. Even tried the following command:

bootrec /fixboot on c:

But it ended up saying not recognized filesystem:( What now.

Insert Microsoft Windows Vista Installation Disc.
    Press any key when it says "Press any key to boot from CD".

After that you should see "Windows is loading files..."
    KEEP pressing F8/F9(can't rmb which, just press both alternately) while the progress bar loads..... Dun let go until you reach "Advanced boot information" where you should see Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Last Good known configuration etc...., just select Safe Mode with Networking(or Safe Mode/Safe Mode with Command Prompt) and press Enter. Wait for the files to load and there should be "Safe Mode" on 4 corners of your monitor.

Just be patient and wait. A windows would soon pop up and says "Install Windows". Don't worry, click next. Now at the bottom of this window, you should see "Repair Windows". Click on it, and there are several options available here. For this case, which is "Bootmgr is compressed.", CHOOSE THE LAST OPTION - "Start Command Prompt".

OK type these things (Only works if you have Firefox, can't think of anything else) below and follow closely:

When Command Prompt is started, type the command below first to ensure that C Drive or whichever drive which contains all your system files is selected:

LOOK FIRST!

X:\System> (The string on the left is what appears on command prompt, may differ on other computers.)

Now TYPE "C:" or "D:", depending on the hard disc volume you are using...

SO IT BECOMES:

X:\System>C:

PRESS ENTER
    THE RETURNING COMMAND WOULD BE:

C:\>

If you get this, very good, continue with the steps below.

Now Type:

CD\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

PRESS ENTER

THE RESULT SHOULD BE SOMETHING LIKE THIS:

C:\>CD\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox (Press ENTER)

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox (<<<<< Result)

Now type "firefox".

wait for Firefox to launch now.
    it doesn't matter if no internet is available.

Now on firefox, go to File > Open File

Double click "My Computer", and you should see your hard disc there, but don't double click on the hard disc. Instead, click once on the hard disc, RIGHT CLICK, and choose properties. AT THE BOTTOM, UNTICK, I REPEAT, UNTICK THE BOX SAYING "Compress this drive to save space etc....". NOW CLICK APPLY, WAIT, AND I MEAN WAIT PATIENTLY OK? AFTER THAT CLICK ON "OK".

AFTER PRESSING OK, DO A QUICK LOOK AT YOUR DRIVE BY DOUBLE-CLICKING IT NOW. IF ANY FILES/FOLDERS ARE BLUE IN COLOUR INSTEAD OF BLACK, RIGHT-CLICK IT, CHOOSE PROPERTIES, CLICK ADVANCED BUTTON (Beside Read-Only Box and Archive Box), UNTICK, I REPEAT, UNTICK the 3RD BOX Which says "Compress contents to save disc space".

Click OK, Apply and close the folder/file properties.

Now close the box opened by firefox, close firefox, close command prompt AND AT THE BOTTOM RIGHT OF THE FIRST WINDOW WHICH POPS UP MENTIONED EARLIER, PRESS RESTART.

Your computer should be able to start properly now :)

hi, i have been having the same problem too but all i get is a message saying syntax error after typing in CD\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox any help would be great?

I got to this page cause i have the same problem with my windows7 can you please tell me i have the original windowsXP disc but i lost the windows7 disc if i instal windowsXP i will lose my files??

Quote Originally Posted by johnjohnpcman View Post
    I got to this page cause i have the same problem with my windows7 can you please tell me i have the original windowsXP disc but i lost the windows7 disc if i instal windowsXP i will lose my files??
    Well, you can copy all the data from your hard drive to some other drive and after that format the drive that is giving the BOOTMGR error message. Or else boot from your Windows 7 DVD and select Repair your Computer -> Startup Repair. This way the error should also reolve and you wont face the BOOTMGR is compressed problem.