Thread: Windows errors when creating ad-hoc network

Windows errors when creating ad-hoc network

I need some help when I am trying to create Ad-Hoc network in Windows. I have two laptops with me. The first one is Windows XP and the second one is Windows Vista. I am trying to share internet among them. Now after when setup is in Vista I can see the XP machine. But when I try to open up the shared folder I am getting a Access Denied folder. I had setup File and Printer sharing which is actually connected to Vista. I had made changes to TCP/IP settings which looks well. The same changes are done in IPv4 also. So both the end there is no error seen, but it gives me error while accessing those files.

RE: Windows errors when creating ad-hoc network

This is a straight permission issue in Windows Vista and XP. You will be facing the Access denied error until you will not provide full permission to both the system to access files. You can check the firewall or other security settings also. If they are on they might block open access to the systems. Second important thing that you have to do is provide a common Workgroup name to both of them. If they are different then the problem will never go. Right click on My Computer > Properties > Computer Name and modify the Workgroup name. In Vista, set Network Discovery as ON.

I am bit stuck with other issue. I had created a new ad-hoc network by deleting the old one. I want to setup everything again to make it properly. But as I am working on the new one, I am getting a error that Windows is not able to set the network name. I am quiet not able to figure out why this is not happening. It looks a bit issue to me. I had removed the old settings one by one, modified the workgroup and make changes to access permission. All work well now.

Re: Windows errors when creating ad-hoc network

im facing the problem before, but i have found a way to fix it, just turn on the wireless signal swith "ON" before you setup a Ad hoc connection, then it will be fine again, i hope it helps you..

god bless

ehehe, actually it is also for the others who may have read this text .. i tried searching for solution about this matter but then i havent found anything to fix this problem . .so i try to seeking answer on my own , and this is wat i did ,, just want to share the idea

Well it helped me! Simple mistake but I still made it. Thanks (-:

I'm glad it helps. :)

No worries!

Unfortunately Vista ad-hoc wireless connectivity is so flaky that it's useless. Guess I'll have to buy a wireless router...