Thread: Unable to install HP Officejet printer due to missing USB drivers

Unable to install HP Officejet printer due to missing USB drivers

I am using a Windows Vista desktop computer with Virtual PC running Windows Vista. I am trying to install HP Officejet printer on the same but getting some problems. I download HP software and drivers from HP official website but while trying to install, the setup goes upto Final stage and gives error saying missing USB drivers and hardware. I am not able to figure out what could be the problem because the same printer is working fine on my host Vista Ultimate.

Can anyone please provide me a proper way of installing the printer on host virtual XP? Thank you very much.

Re: Unable to install HP Officejet printer due to missing USB drivers

You wont be able to do what you are trying to get done because t Virtual PC does not support USB. If you want to use the USB printer on Virtual Machine then you will need to install some another solution like VMWare. It supports USB 2.0. Try it out and let me know if you face anymore problem.

Hello ABRIELLE. Make sure you choose the option "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer" while using the Add Printer wizard in XP on the Virtual Machine. Your VM and your host are, in effect, 2 separate computers but your guest system needs to be treated exactly in the same manner that you would treat a separate physical computer. By the way can you tell me if you have networking in the VM using your hosts NIC? If yes then ensure that the Printer sharing is turned on in Vista. Hope it helps.

Thats absolutely correct Taidje but i guess you forgot something. He also need to have to map it as a network printer, not as a local one.

This works with Virtual PC on OfficeJet 6310

Problem:
    Can't install HP USB/Network Printer from Virtual PC 2007 due to lack of a USB port. This should not be a limitation since the printer is network-accessible but the print driver setup program complains and won't let you finish the install.

Solution:
    When the installer complains about lack of USB port, simply click on the "Cancel" button while holding down the Ctrl and Shift keys. This will "magically" bypass the USB port requirement and allow the installer to continue. Be sure to have the IP Address of your printer handy as you will need that in a subsequent step to connect to your printer.

Note:
    This may not work on all HP Network-capable printers, but I can confirm that it works for the OfficeJet 6310 All-in-one.

I found this solution on the HP Website

Disconnecting thne battery for a while fixes the problem. On HP cp1700 the battery is hard to get out. I just slipped a thin stiff plastic strip under the outer battery terminal for an hour leaving the battery in place. Then "cartridge expired" message didn't come up and it works well.
    Last edited by Kunal; 11-01-2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: External Linking is not allowed