Thread: Windows Photo Gallery can't save pictures after editing

Windows Photo Gallery can't save pictures after editing

Its been just two weeks I am using Windows Vista and already frustrated with so many problems which I never had in years with Windows XP. Forget about other problems, the most irritating one is here. I have several JPEG images on my system which when I edit in Windows Photo Gallery and try to save, it gives me an error message saying:”

"Changes to this picture cannot be saved because Photo Gallery has experienced a problem".

This is happening since I installed Vista and no matter whatever I try to fix it, it wont work. I know there is no problem with my JPEG files because when I try the same on my XP based laptops they work fine. Any help please?

RE: Windows Photo Gallery can't save pictures after editing

Wow. i thought i was alone with this problem but seems like i got a company. Even i am facing exactly the same problem on my Vista running Dell laptop. Whenever i try saving changes do to any JPEG image it gives me an error and then an image of the dell DSC icon appears. I think this is what preventing the save as it is an icon file.

Any i dea why is this happening? I sit because the JPEG images which i am trying to edit and save are taken from Sony camera? Please help.

RE: Windows Photo Gallery can't save pictures after editing

Hey guys count me in two. In my case the error message is bit different. On saving the images, it gives me an error saying:

"Changes to this picture can't be saved because it's no longer available. You might have lost your network connection or the picture might have been deleted."

Let me tell you neither i am on any network nor any other problem. But i wasn't facing this problem earlier, it started just a week ago or so. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you guys just tell me how exactly are you all trying to save the edited pictures? WPG "auto-saves" the changes you've made to a picture. There's no action you need to take to save it. You also have the option to undo any changes you've made and revert to the original.

Re: Windows Photo Gallery can't save pictures after editing

I'm having the same problems with Photo gallery. I used to be able to edit pictures and now can't. I hav Vista running on an HP Pavillion. Have browsed through these messages but haven't found an answer. All help appreciated.
    carol b

I am having the same problem with a Gateway computer. Have been able to edit and save before; now all of a sudden I get an error message "Photo can not be saved because of a problem with Photo Gallery". Have downloaded the Windows Live Photo Gallery in the hopes that would take care of the problem; but problem still exists.

I will certainly try your fix. I prefer to use Photo Gallery because my Paint doesn't have a "crop". But have found that Paint does a better job of resizing. Will let this board know if your solution works for me.

Yeah, momtodogs, your solution to the Photo Gallery problem works for me also. How in the world did you ever think to open an edited picture in Paint to save? Brilliant idea.

Well the best suggestion i can suggest you all is better try out some alternate application. I never use Windows Photo gallery for editing images but Paint.It is a completely free and dedicated image editor. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools. Hope that helps.

Yes, I have Paint; but it does not "crop" like Photo Gallery does -or at least I haven't found out how to crop in Paint. Using Photo Gallery to crop, then open the page up in Paint, then saving from Paint works. Momtodogs told me how to do that - works fine.

My mistake.......Yes, I have used Paint.net before - will try again. Thank you for advice

I had similar problem with WLPG on Windows 7. My path length was too long. Max path length is effectively 247 characters (default max length is 260 characters minus room for the 8.3 name plus an ending null character). So, path: "C:\Users\username\Pictures\folder1\folder2\...\folder n\filename.ext" must be 247 or less.
    Last edited by Paullast54; 23-01-2011 at 01:47 AM.

How is it exactly that you save from Paint? Do you open Paint, then go File, Open, to get your picture? Or you say from Windows Photo Gallery, how do you open Paint from there?

I am having this same problem; however, I seem to have stumbled on a temporary 'fix.' When I get this error, I open Paint from Windows Photo Gallery (WPG), and just click on File and just Save (I made no changes in Paint.) When I go back to WPG, any changes I make will 'autosave.' It's an annoying extra step, but at least I'm not completely stalled.
    It seems to 'unlock' the file, if that is what the problem was.

"This is not a valid bitmap file or its format is not currently supported."
    So I figured out how to open Paint from WPG, but this message popped up. Is there anything I can do, or do I just give up and try a different picture?