Thread: webcam being used by another application

mikeod Guest

webcam being used by another application

Randomly, when i try to use my built in webcam, half the time it works, and the other half it says it is being used by another application, when it clearly isn't. I tried to restart my computer numerous times and it still doesn't fix the problem. Any ideas?

Charlie Tame Guest

Re: webcam being used by another application

Be sure you don't have something like an instant messenger running but hidden in the background

Kristan M. Kenney [MVP] Guest

RE: webcam being used by another application

This may be caused by the driver for your webcam, and a compatibility issue with Selective Suspend. Check to see if there is a newer driver available and give it a shot. Also, check your settings for selective suspend by performing the following:

1. Click on Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click on System and Maintenance and then click on Power Options.
    3. Below your selected plan click on "change plan settings"
    4. Click on "Change advanced power settings".
    5. Double click or expand USB settings, USB selective suspend setting, and
    set both "On battery" and "Plugged in" to Disabled.

NOTE: This may decrease the life of your battery slightly if you are using a notebook computer.

Once you have performed the following, restart your computer and try putting it into sleep or hibernation mode, resume the system, and see if you are still being told that the webcam is in use by another application.

Launch Task Manager and see all the processes. There can be some application which is causing the issue. Many people uses their webcam on online website. Due to which it shows engaged. You can try killing maximum application through Task Manager and test back whether the webcam connection is restored or not. If not then log off your system and then login back. This will definitely kill all background things.

Which webcam application you are using. Are you trying to run the camera on chat messenger. If yes then just download and install SplitCam on your system. This app allows you to webcam through multiple applications. I hope you might be able to access it. If not then go in device manager and uninstall the webcamera. Restart your pc back. Windows will automatically install the webcam drivers. And then try to run it through any tool. The error looks the webcam is stuck in some applications which is not terminating. You will keep on getting that error.