Thread: Thumbnail error with AVI files

Thumbnail error with AVI files

I cannot view thumbnails of .avi file in Windows Vista 64bit. The problem is not new, it appeared long back, but I ignored the same. I have a number of folders with around 80 avi video files. When I open them in explorer I cannot see thumbnail of any videos. While the same can be seen in my friends system. I am using GSpot Codec in Vista to run avi files. Later on I added more codecs to make the avi files work properly in the system. I had edited a number of videos and broke them to pieces. Each of them has a number which is easily viewable in thumbnail view. I had made a number of settings, but still they cannot be seen. Vista has this feature. It auto generate video thumbnails when you are looking for file inside a folder. Also this makes your job easier to open a file. How can fix them. What are the settings to enable thumbnail back for avi files.

Re: Thumbnail error with AVI files

The thumbnails are only produced if there are proper codecs installed in Windows Vista. Or else there will be no images. Try to copy paste all the videos in different folder and recheck the same. Does the explorer take too much time to load files. If yes then there might be some issue with your hard disk. You can wipe out old thumbnails so that Vista can create new back again. For that right click on the Folder > Properties > Disk Cleanup. Tick the checkbox delete thumbnails and check back.

I did what you said. The process was very easy. But I know there is some registry tweak for the same. I had tried to check that on Google, but could not found anything related. I had remove the old thumbnail files via Disk Cleanup. But still the issue lies the same. There is no way I can get rid of that completely and restore the old .avi files. Long ago in Windows XP I was facing this error related to some jpg files. I had restored them by making a bit smaller changes to the Windows Registry file and that worked out. But I am not getting those settings back together in Windows XP.

Video files needs special codec files to work on. The same is applicable for thumbnails also. If there are no proper codecs installed the thumbnails will not be properly visible. This is a very minor issue. Just get some better codecs from web and download it. As you said that your system only has gspot coded installed. That would be not more than enough. Without correct codec there is no way of messing our the video files. Also it is nothing related to Windows registry.

I want some help on this. I am having a similar issue where .avi files does not shows up thumbnails in Explorer. All video files are kept in My Document > Videos. I am not able to figure out when this happen. Along with that I have some image files also. In Windows Photo Gallery I can see the thumbnails, but as I open the explorer those things are not visible. This is a bit weird thing on my system. What should I do. Is this also related to avi file issue. The thumbnail is mostly auto generated. To get a easy fix I had installed a different video player. After installing that the thumbnails are viewable. This shows the straight issue of improper codec installed in the system.

Does Windows Update can fix the issue. I got a command on some site which says will fix the issue. It was regsvr32 shmedia.dll. You have to run that from Start > Run Box. Or just press Ctrl + R. If this worked properly you will be able to check the thumbnail preview in Windows on next boot. The codec is not responsible for the same. Some dll files is missing or corrupted. There are registry tweak available for that, but they are not at all intact and offer easy options. Check for your software updates. Like you mentioned you are using gspot. There might some new update available for that. Update that and then see whether it works. If not then the last option lies is System Restore.

My system was not showing me thumbnails some month ago. I had manged to fix this by performing different kinds of troubleshooting options. Like I had first run a registry fix and then I had installed new codec package. I found Vista Codec Pack from web. It was the best one I think. After installing that I can see all the codecs listed in Explorer. The next time due to virus issue I re-installed vista and the same thing appeared. It looks that Vista does not has a inbuilt codec that can generate thumbnails of video files. And this type of solutions are also not available on Windows Update. So there is nothing great you can do. Another important thing I want to mention here is that, for fixing the issue in a 64Bit operating system you need to install 64Bit codecs in your computer.

Vista is a bit buggy. There are ample of codecs pack you can download. Vista codec pack was a good suggestion. When I got this error I tried to do a number of things. I tried to scan my drive for bad sectors, removed a number of software and installed different kinds of media player. I had also did a changes in my registry file. But that all nothing worked. Only after installing Vista Codec, thinks went back to normal. Microsoft must provide some help for the same in Windows Update.

It is an error with the Thumbnail image and the solution is incredibly simple: open the folder that the naughty file is in, set view options to "List". The file can now be deleted. No fancy software, registry editing, or anything else necessary. This drove me nuts for days until I found this solution on another site.

Mark

hi guys even i was suffering from the same problem but i got the solution

solution:
    open "my computer"
    goto "tools"->"folder options"
    under "view" tab
    click "apply to all folders"

this will solve your problems. Whenever you open a folder with video file in it, it will be viewed as tiled and you won't get any such error.