Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows vista print spooler problem.

PDF printer spooler service related issue

I've had the same problems, and I've noticed they are related, at least as far as I've seen to trying to print PDF files. What I've done to solve the issue is start the spooler service, switch fast to the my printer screen and pause the jobs on queue. The spooler service stops again by itself, but next time it restarts the jobs are on pause and I can eliminate them and unpause the printer. Then I can print normally although the same thing happens if I try to send the same file (PDF). Hope this helps anyone out there....

karmaisis Guest

RE: Windows vista print spooler problem.

I have been experiencing the same problem (pretty much every detail)...have a cannon MP470 - which came with the computer package that I purchased (!) I'm truly frustrated that I have a brand new system, brand new printer - but they wont work together when they were sold together as a package. Has anyone heard of updates from Vista yet on this issue?? I've tried the "fixes" and tips suggested by other posters, to no avail.

thanks to anyone with help on this issue!

In Windows Vista Home Premium I resolved my Printer (Spooler) problem by following:

Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Double-click Services > Right-click Spooler > Properties > General tab > Startup type > Automatic (not Automatic (Delayed Start-up) > Service Status > Start > OK.

Minion Guest

Re: Windows vista print spooler problem.

I'm having the same problem..what a headache. I've done everything suggested above and spooler stays open for a moment then shuts down again. I can't install my remote printers to my new laptop because the
    spooler won't stay running. Still looking for advice, searched everywhere, tried everything and still a problem..help appreciated.

Barb Guest

Vista Home Basic Print Spooler

There are several problems occuring that I believe are all related.

1) Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator hang when they are started up - until I stop the spooler service. Oddly I haven't even tried to print anything at this point. Just opened the program.

2)Attempting to print from other programs (Office, notepad, webpages) causes the program AND print spooler to hang. If I stop the print service, the program works again.

Before anyone wastes thier time, here are things I have already tried:

1)Uninstalled printer drivers and reinstalled them via the install.exe that comes with the printer. Newest version available.
    2)Reinstalled Vista
    3)Formatted and Installed Vista
    4)Installed the printer on another computer and attempted to network print.
    5)Updated Vista and the software that HP provides.

I have tried the above with a Canon inkjet and then with an Epson inkjet. Both printers work on my desktop computer (a DELL with Vista Home Premium). Oh also, I had at one point removed ALL HP software to see if those things were causing the problem. No dice.

It's not serious...I can live with it...but it should work...and I'm annoyed with having to take my lazy butt over to my desktop every time I want to print something. :)

Any ideas?

Re: Vista print spooler problem

To start and stop the print spooler
    Open Computer Management.

on the start menu ,just type computer management

In the console tree, click Services.
    Where?

Computer Management/Services and Applications/Services

In the details pane, double-click Print Spooler.

Do one of the following depending on the task you want to do:
    Click Stop to stop the service.
    Click Start to start the service.

Dear All,

I have also encountered the same problem in one Laptop of my office. System detail are as following:

Manufacturer: Acer
    Model: Travel Mate - 5720
    Operating System: Vista (Business)
    Service Pack: NA

Issue Reported: Printer Spool Service Stops on every print command.

Diagnosis: 1) Printer Deriver are not supported for Windows Vista.
    2) Printer Spool has multiple files.

Solution:
    1) Download the Printer Driver for VISTA.
    2) Go to “C:\Windows (or drive where window is installed)\system 32\Spool\Printer” folder.
    a. Remove any file with in that folder.
    b. Before deleting stop the Printer Spooler service. To do this go to Control Panel then to Administrative Tools and click on Services. Search for “Printer Spool”, click stop(if enabled).
    3) Remove any printer if there is installed.
    4) Restart System
    5) Install Printer Drivers (downloaded for Vista), check for printing.

It should solve the problem as it did for me.

I found the fix!!! If you go here there is a .msi that cleans the printers up, reboot and the print spooler problem is no more. Only drawback is you have to add the printers back. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000007

Also, I fixed this on the 24th then my user ran the Vista SP2 updates, this must have over written some .dll (or something) Print spooler stopped running again...ran this & fixed it back up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12