Thread: Error ! User Profile Service service failed the logon.

DavidinEdmond Guest

Error ! User Profile Service service failed the logon.

I've seen several people with this issue, including myself, and have yet to
    see any answer other than to delete the account and start over. This is not
    a good solution for any user. What causes this issue? How can it be
    prevented? How can it be fixed? Some type of acknowledgement would be
    appreciated as it does seem to be be kind of a 'major' issue. Thank you for
    your time.

----------------
    This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
    suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
    Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
    link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...unts_passwords

russ Guest

RE: Error ! User Profile Service service failed the logon.

this happened to me directly after receiving updates from microsoft, as admin
    I cannot access my account , vista is so secure the user can't use it!!!

"DavidinEdmond" wrote:

> I've seen several people with this issue, including myself, and have yet to
    > see any answer other than to delete the account and start over. This is not
    > a good solution for any user. What causes this issue? How can it be
    > prevented? How can it be fixed? Some type of acknowledgement would be
    > appreciated as it does seem to be be kind of a 'major' issue. Thank you for
    > your time.
    >
    > ----------------
    > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
    > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
    > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
    > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
    > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
    >
    > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...unts_passwords

sukig Guest

I have quiet a few annoying problems with Vista. Has Microsoft come up with a
    quick solution for this "User Profile Service service failed to logon"?

"DavidinEdmond" wrote:

> your time.
    >
    > ----------------
    >

Alabastyr Guest

I too have had this problem i first set up our computer with an Admin account
    and three separate user accounts one for me and two for my parents i
    encountered this problem with my account and so set up a second account and
    tried to transfer the files from my old account to the new one unsuccessfully
    when i decided to try again i found the problem had now spread to the Admin
    account.

"sukig" wrote:

> I have quiet a few annoying problems with Vista. Has Microsoft come up with a
    > quick solution for this "User Profile Service service failed to logon"?
    >
    > "DavidinEdmond" wrote:
    >
    > > I've seen several people with this issue, including myself, and have yet to
    > > see any answer other than to delete the account and start over. This is not
    > > a good solution for any user. What causes this issue? How can it be
    > > prevented? How can it be fixed? Some type of acknowledgement would be
    > > appreciated as it does seem to be be kind of a 'major' issue. Thank you for
    > > your time.
    > >
    > > ----------------
    > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
    > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
    > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
    > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
    > > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
    > >
    > > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...unts_passwords

zdog Guest

Is there any solution for this now. If I need to delete account and setup new
    one how do I do that?

"sukig" wrote:

> quick solution for this "User Profile Service service failed to logon"?
    >
    > "DavidinEdmond" wrote:
    >
    > > your time.
    > >
    > > ----------------
    > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
    > >

justauser Guest

Re: Error ! User Profile Service service failed the logon.

My wife had this problem on her Vista Home Basic system. Based on
    informantion I found from other forums I used the Vista Restore (hold
    down F8 at startup) and selected a restore point before she started
    having the problem. That process worked fine and no user data was lost.

Note that the Vista Repair option did not find any problems.

Every other user post that I saw said the Restore fixed the problem for
    them too, so I'm adding my concurrence for how to recover.

:geek:

--
    justauser

gvagal Guest

USER PROFILE SERVICES: Service failed to Logon

The Answer, so simple!
    Hello, 07-03-08 12:46 A.M. (CST)

Here is the SOLUTION! I sent this reply to the post by Cengelen, and I am going to send it to many of the people having this same problem; because it gave me fits until I found the SIMPLE fix. In my case, Windows had automatically installed an update to Shockwave Flash Player or something like that. I went to the Windows "Restore Point", and it restored me to prior to the update, and I was back to normal. So it was the new update that caused my problem. HOPE this helps everyone!

QUOTED from my Reply to Cengelen:

My name is Venita. This happened to me tonight for the first time. I have a relatively new computer which came installed with Windows Vista Home. After spending a couple hours reading the forums and trying things, but mostly just not believing all these complicated procedures were necessary; it dawned on me about the Windows Restore Point, which was a new feature with XP and naturally is on Vista.

Then viola! As I saw one person say on a very complicated procedure, which I did not believe. Here is how simple it was for me! Just go to Start Menu or wherever you go to find Windows Help and Support. For me, I just click on Start, there I see among all the other items, a link for "Help and Support". From there, click on the link for "Security and Maintenance". Inside there, you should see a link, (mine is on the right-hand side), for "Backup and Restore". Underneath Backup and Restore, you will click the link to "Backup Files". Then finally when you do this, you should see an option for "System Restore". This will allow you to restore your system to an earlier point (before the problem started).

In my case, there had been an update installed for one of those Shock Wave or Flash or something like that. System Restore just restored my computer to the time prior to the new update for that program, and I went right back to normal.

I think many of us, I know I do, forget how easy things can be with "System Restore", and so we spend all this time trying to fix our system by taking the advice of persons who really don't care about what is best for us. In the end, they probably want to mess us up, so we will have to buy something else.

But this fix is SO easy! If you do not know how to find System Restore on your computer, just type in System Restore in your search bar. I am confident there will be a link somewhere to get you there. And this is as easy as it gets... you won't have to do anything. Windows will simply restore your computer to the point before your problem started.

One last note: I had set up other User Accounts, so I was able to sign on and go to the internet or my Start Menu. I didn't notice if you have another account you can sign into or not. I surely hope you do. I was so thankful that I did. If I had not been able to correct this problem, I was going to lose all my business files and that would have been a catastrophy for me. It happened to me about a year ago. but for a different reason. I am not a computer technology whiz and have taught myself everything I know; but if I can help you, you may write to me at gladvn@comcast.net

Hope it helps!

Diane R. Guest

Help! I keep getting the same message "The user profile service failed to
    logon". I bought my Dell computer with Vista already installed on it. I don't
    know a lot about computers so any help would be greatly appreciated!

gvagal Guest
    Diane, System Restore is the simple answer to your problem. I got a message via e-mail that you had replied to my post regarding this problem with User Profile Service failing your logon. I had this problem and when I finally figured out the fix, it is so simple. SYSTEM RESTORE, it comes with Windows XP and Vista and will fix your problem for you, which is probably being caused by an automatic update that has messed up your registry. Do not take any of that bad advice out there which will totally mess you up! If you cannot understand from my post how to use System Restore to easily fix your problem, please write to me via e-mail, and I will guide you along. These forums are too slow and complicated. It hurts when you need your computer and have to wait days and days for assistance. Please write me at : gvagal@comcast.net . Sometimes I check mail every few hours and other times not so often. But I will reply when I get your message. Venita

DavidinEdmond;3012910]I've seen several people with this issue, including myself, and have yet to
    see any answer other than to delete the account and start over. This is not
    a good solution for any user. What causes this issue? How can it be
    prevented? How can it be fixed? Some type of acknowledgement would be
    appreciated as it does seem to be be kind of a 'major' issue. Thank you for
    your time.

----------------
    This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
    suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
    Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
    link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...unts_passwords
    To DavidinEdmond: If you are with Microsoft, or maybe you are not but your post seems to imply you are; then why not tell people that the simple fix to this problem with User Profile Services failed the logon is for them to use SYSTEM RESTORE and just restore their system to any date prior to when their problem started and when their system was working right. Which they can do by going to their "control panel", "help and support", then "security and maintenance", and there they will see "backup and restore", which will take them to System Restore. Viola, there they just restore their system to an earlier date! They can choose the restore point, but any point when the system was working right is good! Just tell people this, you are in a position to do this. To anyone out there who has this problem, if you do not know how to use System Restore, just write to Venita at gvagal@comcast.net. Your problem was probably caused by automatic updates and something that updated has messed up your registry. In my case, it was Shock Player or something of the sort. Let Windows fix the problem for you, System Restore is the simple fix.

Nonny Guest

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 14:04:53 +0530, gvagal
    <gvagal.3c9xnc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>
    >> DavidinEdmond;3012910]I've seen several people with this issue,
    >> including myself, and have yet to
    >> see any answer other than to delete the account and start over. This
    >> is not
    >> a good solution for any user. What causes this issue? How can it be
    >> prevented? How can it be fixed? Some type of acknowledgement would
    >> be
    >> appreciated as it does seem to be be kind of a 'major' issue. Thank
    >> you for
    >> your time.
    >>
    >> ----------------
    >> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
    >> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
    >> "I
    >> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
    >> this
    >> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
    >> then
    >> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6b32eu

>
    >*To DavidinEdmond: If you are with Microsoft, or
    >maybe you are not but your post seems to imply you are

You're a moron. Read his post again.

Are you going to hop all over that silly board you're on and post this
    to every person having a problem??

>; then why not
    >tell people that the simple fix to this problem with User Profile
    >Services failed the logon is for them to use SYSTEM RESTORE and just
    >restore their system to any date prior to when their problem started and
    >when their system was working right. Which they can do by going to
    >their \"control panel\", \"help and support\", then \"security and
    >maintenance\", and there they will see \"backup and restore\", which
    >will take them to System Restore. Viola, there they just restore their
    >system to an earlier date! They can choose the restore point, but any
    >point when the system was working right is good! Just tell people this,
    >you are in a position to do this. To anyone out there who has this
    >problem, if you do not know how to use System Restore, just write to
    >Venita at gvagal@comcast.net. Your problem was probably caused by
    >automatic updates and something that updated has messed up your
    >registry. In my case, it was Shock Player or something of the sort.
    >Let Windows fix the problem for you, System Restore is the simple fix.
    >*

gvagal Guest
    DavidinEdmond; I've seen several people with this issue, including myself, and have yet to see any answer other than to delete the account and start over. This is not a good solution for any user. What causes this issue? How can it be prevented? How can it be fixed? Some type of acknowledgement would be appreciated as it does seem to be be kind of a 'major' issue. Thank you for your time.

--------------------
    This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link http://tinyurl.com/6b32euto open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

What causes the problem? The problem was probably caused by Automatic Updates, something that Windows updated and installed while you were sleeping, has messed up your registry. In my case, it was Shock Player or something of the sort. Let Windows fix the problem for you, System Restore is the answer.

SYSTEM RESTORE to just restore the system to any date prior to when the problem started and to when the system was working right; which can be done by going to \"control panel\", \"help and support\", then \"security and maintenance\", and there you will see \"backup and restore\", which will take you to System Restore. Here, you just restore your system to an earlier date, or restore point, any point when the system was working right is sufficient. To anyone out there who has this problem, if you do not know how to use System Restore, write to gvagal@comcast.net.

DavidinEdmond: I've seen several people with this issue, including myself, and have yet to see any answer other than to delete the account and start over. This is not a good solution for any user. What causes this issue? How can it be prevented? How can it be fixed? Some type of acknowledgement would be appreciated as it does seem to be be kind of a 'major' issue. Thank
    you for your time.

----------------
    This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link http://tinyurl.com/6b32eu to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

The Problem: User Profile Services failed the logon. What causes the problem? The problem was probably caused by having your computer set to do Automatic Updates. Something that Windows updated and installed while you were sleeping, has messed up your registry. In my case, it was Shock Player or something of the sort. Let Windows fix the problem for you. System Restore is the answer.

The Solution: SYSTEM RESTORE to just restore the system to any date prior to when the problem started and to when the system was working right; which can be done by going to \"Control Panel\", \"Help and Support\", then \"Security and Maintenance\", and there you will see \"Backup and Restore\", which will take you to System Restore. Here, you just restore your system to an earlier date or restore point, any point when the system was working right is sufficient. To anyone out there who has this problem: If you do not know how to use System Restore, write to gvagal@comcast.net.

DavidinEdmond: I've seen several people with this issue, including myself, and have yet to see any answer other than to delete the account and start over. This is not a good solution for any user. What causes this issue? How can it be prevented? How can it be fixed? Some type of acknowledgement would be appreciated as it does seem to be be kind of a 'major' issue. Thank you for your time.

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link http://tinyurl.com/6b32eu to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

----------------

The Problem: User Profile Services failed the logon. What causes the problem? The problem was probably caused by having your computer set to do Automatic Updates. Something that Windows updated and installed while you were sleeping, has messed up your registry. In my case, it was Shock Player or something of the sort. Let Windows fix the problem for you. System Restore is the answer.

The Solution: SYSTEM RESTORE to just restore the system to any date prior to when the problem started and to when the system was working right; which can be done by going to \"Control Panel\", \"Help and Support\", then \"Security and Maintenance\", and there you will see \"Backup and Restore\", which will take you to System Restore. Here, you just restore your system to an earlier date or restore point, any point when the system was working right is sufficient. To anyone out there who has this problem: If you do not know how to use System Restore, write to gvagal@comcast.net.

DavidinEdmond: I've seen several people with this issue, including myself, and have yet to see any answer other than to delete the account and start over. This is not a good solution for any user. What causes this issue? How can it be prevented? How can it be fixed? Some type of acknowledgement would be appreciated as it does seem to be be kind of a 'major' issue. Thank you for your time.

----------------

DavidinEdmond: I've seen several people with this issue, including myself, and have yet to see any answer other than to delete the account and start over. This is not a good solution for any user. What causes this issue? How can it be prevented? How can it be fixed? Some type of acknowledgement would be appreciated as it does seem to be be kind of a 'major' issue. Thank
    you for your time.

-------------------

Nonny Guest

You continue to post to someone who hasn't been around in a freaking
    year. You are a moron.

gvagal Guest
    The Problem: User Profile Services Failed the Logon What causes the problem? The problem was probably caused by Automatic Updates, something that Windows updated and installed while you were sleeping, has messed up your registry. In my case, it was Shock Player or something of the sort. Let Windows fix the problem for you, System Restore is the answer.

The Solution: SYSTEM RESTORE to just restore the system to any date prior to when the problem started and to when the system was working right; which can be done by going to your \\"Control Panel\\", \\"Help and Support\\", then \\"Security and Maintenance\\", and there you will see \\"Backup and Restore\\", which will take you to System Restore. Here, you just restore your system to an earlier date or restore point, any point when the system was working right is sufficient. To anyone out there who has this problem, if you do not know how to use System Restore, write to gvagal@comcast.net.

Quote Originally Posted by zdog View Post
    Is there any solution for this now. If I need to delete account and setup new
    one how do I do that?

"sukig" wrote:

> quick solution for this "User Profile Service service failed to logon"? >"DavidinEdmond" wrote:
    >
    > > your time.
    > >
    > > ----------------
    > >
    To Sukig and zdog: Don't go deleting things, whatever you do. This is bad advice! For the solution, get away from this forum. Write to gvagal@comcast.net and I will try and assist you. This is a legitimate and safe offer, but if you are uncomfortable with writing to an unknown e-mail address, then start by learning about System Restore.

The problem was probably caused by Automatic Updates. Something that Windows updated and installed while you were sleeping, has messed up your registry. In my case, it was Shock Player or something of the sort.

SYSTEM RESTORE to just restore the system to any date prior to when the problem started and to when the system was working right; which can be done by going to \\"control panel\\", \\"help and support\\", then \\"security and maintenance\\", and there you will see \\"backup and restore\\", which will take you to System Restore. Here, you just restore your system to an earlier date, or restore point, any point when the system was working right is sufficient.

Go to \\"Control Panel\\", \\"Help and Support\\", then \\"Security and Maintenance\\", and there you will see \\"Backup and Restore\\", which will take you to System Restore. Here, you just restore your system to an earlier date or restore point, any point when the system was working right is sufficient. To anyone out there who has this problem, if you do not know how to use System Restore, write to gvagal@comcast.net.

Go to \\"Control Panel\\", \\"Help and Support\\", then \\"Security and Maintenance\\", and there you will see \\"Backup and Restore\\", which will take you to System Restore. Here, you just restore your system to an earlier date or restore point, any point when the system was working right is sufficient.

Diane R. Guest

I tried using the restore point but it prompts me to my user name and asks
    for a password to continue. I never added a password to my account and it
    won't allow me to proceed. Any suggestions?
    --
    Thanks!
    Diane

"DavidinEdmond" wrote:

> your time.
    >
    > ----------------
    >