Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is consent.exe a virus or spyware

Is consent.exe a virus or spyware

I need some information on consent.exe. Which application is associated with this file. I cannot find anything related to that on my system. Whenever I start my internet, I can see this .exe file working in Task Manager. I think this is some kind of virus in my system. I am having AVG antivirus and it is simply updated. I also has a firewall which is configured to block all the connections. The antivirus does not detect this .exe file any threat. Any information on the same.

re: Is consent.exe a virus or spyware

If your antivirus is not giving any warnings on your screen, then you can avoid it. There are some other antivirus available that you can try out. I am sure that those antivirus might offer you better support. As you said that you also have a firewall in your system. So you must stay alert at one side. You can try scanning your system in safe mode also. It might detect some virus if found.

Try to scan your system in admin account. It would be better to some extent. And if you are having doubt on the antivirus you are using it is better you change one. There are some free bootable scanners that you can try. I had seen nothing about the .exe file that you had mentioned. I will recommend you to search web for information on the same. I had seen some articles which says that this file can be a malware. But it was really then your antivirus must have detected it.

consent.exe

a number of processes need to contact the internet, this is quite normal and is part of how the internet works.
    for instance DNS = domain name server, when you type an address of a page into a browser then your computer needs to contact a dns server to resolve the url as an i.p. it is this ip number which your computer then looks up to find the page in question,
    as for consent.exe, i am not 100% sure about this, but i think that this has to do with getting permissions for various software to get elevated rights to run on your computer, for instance a program like regsupreme may want to do things to the registry, however windows needs to verify whether or not the program has a key held with an authority to permit it to run..
    ok, as i said i am not sure about the ins and outs of this however i think i am not too far of the mark here.

it would be cool if microsoft wrote something a little more comprehensive about such processes, as it is we usually need to look these things up in some obscure corner of the web.

It will be waste of time by searching on web. Better get a anti-malware and scan your system. You must check your existing antivirus. It is updated or not. If not then update it and try to scan back. Does your cpu or ram usage increases when you surf the web. If yes then it is definitely some kind of infected file. I use Norton for such reason. As it is quiet nice and complete antivirus software. It offers a detailed security support to deal with such kind of problem.

I had faced a similar issue. I am not sure what .exe file that was, but it appear to be working only when I was online. I had scanned my system but nothing happened. After a few days the system started freezing. I added a new antivirus and updated it. There are tons of new infection detected. I have to format the system completely or else it was extremely slow. You must check your system usage.

Try to kill that process. I checked on Google and found that it is not virus but some internal Vista utility. And it simply starts on its own when your system loads up. The utility is quiet resource intensive. It eats a good amount of system resources when it is loaded. You can end the process and leave it. The utility uses net access to check some certificate validity. There are many similar files which are termed as virus.

It is a malware. A malware is programed to replace the valid system files so that they remain undetected from antivirus software. I had seen the malware is capable of replacing the files in system32 folder. It is better if you scan your system with some good antivirus. Virus infects are very common in Windows. You cannot rely on existing security tool. There are many powerful antivirus that offers you free and trail edition. You can test one of them by installing and then running the scan. This really works well.

I've not seen consent.exe yet come up. Are you operating as a Standard User or as an Administrator? When starting the Snipping Tool consent.exe wants to connect to the Internet, and after that nippingTool.exe
    also wants to connect. Is that normal ? Can anyone confirm that behaviour ? I believe consent.exe is part of the UAC (User Account Control) ? Why do they both want internet access ?

Hi Guys,

Check here - Consent.exe prevents windows start-up. Some useful information is given about consent.exe

I am having a old notebook. There are 3 accounts in it. 1 is admin and other 2 are limited account locked with password. I rarely use it. Just to check some old photos I started the notebook. It is having Vista 64bit OS. It is used by my son for net surfing. I found a message on the screen about some connection blocked. I had seen the same for first time. It look some internal application is trying to access the connection and the firewall is blocking it. I had checked in Task Manager and found consent.exe file. I am going to see whether may antivirus is capable of removing or not, or else I will format it completely.

Download and install System Explorer. This tool will provide you detailed information on current running applications in your system. I use it always to verify what all applications are working in the system. You will be able to locate some set of list through that and it will help you to get rid of such issues.

Re: consent.exe

I had just configured my Vista x64 system. It is a new computer which is purchased just some couple of weeks ago. The system works very slowly. I checked in Task Manager and found two consent.exe files in the services. The system works slow when this both are running. I would have ignored it, if there was only a single files showed. But there are two. In safe mode I tried to find any associated program, but there was nothing listed. I hope there would be some better solution available that can help me to fix the issue.

Re: consent.exe

The exe file is located inside System32 folder. You can easily find consent.exe there. This is nothing but the UAC. The User Account Control. You can go in Control Panel and disable that completely. UAC prompts you to allow or not allow any changes made to your system. It is really very annoying. I had disabled that completely. I think after turning it off your system might work properly and there will not be any error.

It is showing up on compromised systems. I have it on several laptops - out of the box and manufactured in China. Either the system image has been tampered with or it is a BIOS virus or both. It is smart enough and attempts to hide itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast