Thread: Changing folder attributes

Changing folder attributes

I installed a clean Windows Vista on my one of my desktop. It is working fine so far but i have a small problem which i came to know today itself. I found many of my folders attributes set to "read only". I dont know how it happens but thats fine. Actually i want to fix them.

While searching i found an MS article according to which can do them by running the command "attrib -r" in command prompt. But that dint worked for me at all. I am the only administrator of this system. Can anyone please tell me how can i change my folder's attributes?

Thanks for all your helps.

Re: Changing folder attributes

Actually the best of changing folder's attributes is by running the command "attrib -r" in command prompt. But if dint worked for you the probably there is something in registry preventing you to change it. Here is what you need to go through to fix it:

• Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
    • Locate the following registry key:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer
    • On the Edit menu, point to New, click DWORD Value, and then type the following registry value name:
    • UseSystemForSystemFolders
    • Right-click the new value, and then click Modify.
    • Type 1, and then click OK.
    • Quit Registry Editor.
    • After you make this change to the registry, you must change the Read-Only attribute for all affected folders by using the attrib command at a command prompt (Command.com or Cmd.exe). Type attrib /? at the command prompt to view the syntax for the attrib command. For example, to change the Read-Only attribute to System for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:

attrib -r +s c:\test

For more info, checkout this MS KB: Unable to remove Read-Only attribute from folder

Hello Deffen-Baugh, as far as i think read-only attribute is probably not the causing the problems, instead it is the security permissions for that particular folder might be creating the issues. Hence to get the access permission for that folder, you need to try out the following:
    • Open the folder you want to change the attribute.
    • Right-click it and select Properties
    • Click Security Tab > Edit > Click Add
    • If you are the only one that needs modify access to this file, type your username and press enter. Otherwise, type "Users" and press enter.
    • Now click the checkbox under Allow next to Full Control and click OK.

Remember this is applicable for Vista Ultimate, Business, or Enterprise edition.

Re: Read Only Folder Attribute

I am unable to follow the above directions, because, it appears I do not have permission to Edit / Add users for the folder.. Although I am the administrator. Please help me!

I have a question as well but it is on this same topic.

In command prompt, how would I change the attributes of a folder if the folder's name contains two words eg "new folder". The command "attrib -s -h c:\new folder" will not work if the folder contains two word but will work if the folder's name is one word. I have very many folders with this kind of naming and I do not wish to change all their names. Is there a special notation.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mytin View Post
    I have a question as well but it is on this same topic.

In command prompt, how would I change the attributes of a folder if the folder's name contains two words eg "new folder". The command "attrib -s -h c:\new folder" will not work if the folder contains two word but will work if the folder's name is one word. I have very many folders with this kind of naming and I do not wish to change all their names. Is there a special notation.
    It is worth mentioning that if you have a two word property like text-align you would do this to define multiple CSS attributes in JQuery:
    Code:
    $("#message").css({ width: '30px', height: '10px', 'text-align': 'center'});