Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interactive logon process initialization has failed in Windows Vista

Interactive logon process initialization has failed in Windows Vista

My client has a new Dell laptop that has Windows Vista Home Premium installed. She brought that to me as there was some issue with it. It was not starting up. On boot the laptop gives a error showing the Safe Mode screen and Last Good Known Configuration option on the end. Safe Mode was selected by default. I had clicked on first Last Good Known Configuration but nothing worked out. then I had tried a system restore in Safe Mode. After system restore I used Vista installation disc to run Startup Repair. But that too does not worked out. Is there any other way by which I can fix this instead of formatting and fresh installation.

re: Interactive logon process initialization has failed in Windows Vista

It looks a major issue. Windows boot.ini might be corrupted or some system file is failed or missing. For that the first thing I will tell you is to contact Dell support. They can give you a easy fix for the same. Second thing try to run System restore one more time and choose a much older date. It will help you. In Safe mode run msconfig and check that by default the boot is not set on Safe mode. Choose normal mode and disable some startup service. Sometime due to modification in Administrative Settings this issue appear.

It can be a hardware issue according to me. Take a data backup first or else you will loose everything. Safe mode allows you to copy your data. There are recovery partition in number of laptop that helps you to restore your OS, but that wipes out completely. Startup Repair is the only thing that helps mostly to fix this issues.

The major issue with formatting is that you will lost all the data. I will advice you to ask your client first, that does the laptop has any important data in it or else if you try to do certain changes those can be unrecoverable. Atleast you are able to boot in safe mode. My daughters laptop has the same issue. I made changes through Vista installation disc by reading number of troubleshooting articles. Accidentally I lost the data in Document and Settings and some important bookmarks. So first backup your data in a usb or burn the same to CD/DVD and then go for the fixing. If there will be no option atleast you can run a recovery process with many laptop has. This wipes out everything making the system to perform a bit well. Some options that you can try is running a Startup Repair again. If still that does not detect a problem try some different disc. Through cmd run chkdsk /r and wait for a while. It will fix a number of errors automatically. And if still the issue arises I hope that your drive is working fine. There are number of bootable disc that comes with hard drive test software. Like HDDScan. You can verify the drive integrity with that.

I know its an old topic, but it was 1st on google so I figured I'd pay it forward here.

I ran across the here:

Basically I booted up with Knoppix & emailed the Application event log to myself.
    Used another Vista machine to view the log & see the error.
    Burnt a copy of the bad manifest to a CD & booted up my Vista DVD to the command prompt and overwrote the old file.

Restarted & everything was good again. ANother hat tip to PJPoon over at Neowin.

I had this exact problem about a week ago, and thought I had lost everything-- turns out the problem was EASY to solve:

I contacted Dell Customer Support. They initially told me they couldn't help, but then changed their minds. After an exchange of several emails they agreed to send me a replacedment "Operating System" CD (the CD also said things like, "Already Installed on Your Computer" and "Reinstallation DVD"). I started up my computer, pressed F12 to set my computer to boot from the CD/ DVD drive, and just followed the instructions from there. Nothing was lost, and I have had no problems since.

I had lost my original reinstallantion DVD, but Dell was more than happy to help me out with sending me a new one. My computer was still under warranty, so that may have made my case easier. Once they agreed to mail me the DVD, it arrived within 24 hours! This ended up being a FAST and EAST solution to what appeared to be an intractable problem! DO IT! GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the reply. I had a similar issue where I was dealing with startup issues. I was wondering to format. But removing some software helped me out. I had removed my antivirus first which was Kaspersky. Then I run a registry repair tool which fixed a number of errors. There are less chances that Windows Repair options will work here. In my laptop I had tried many things but still the system is stucked in Safe mode, while my desktop is restored. One is one Windows XP and other one on Windows Vista. For advance troubleshooting you can try to check the stuff in logs file. There are right errors mentioned that can help you to troubleshoot the problem.

WOW! I just had a Vista computer doing the same thing. I used a slight alteration of the method described to but essentially the same fix. A bad .manifest file. Also, I had a bit of trouble copying a new file into the location and had to change some file and folder security settings to allow copy-to access.

Thanks to Mindless Automation for the post on the fix though. Learn something new every day in computers.

All is good. Now I just got to get rid of those nasty viruses and rootkits.

I feel like I'm real close to fixing this but I need more info.
    How do you figure out which is the bad manifest file? I have nearly 20,000 .manifest files and none of them are like the one described here; C:\windows\winsxs\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows. common(long string of
    numbers).manifest. just isn't there, though some are close.
    I don't know what I'm missing in the post from mindless, but it seems incomplete to me, how are you all figuring out which manifest is corrupt?

I know this is old, but there's not a lot of info out there on this issue and I'd appreciate any help.

Quote Originally Posted by srobbins707 View Post
    How Do I located the "Application event log"
    What operating system you have installed in your pc? If it is windows xp then to open Event Viewer, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. Or, open the MMC containing the Event Viewer snap-in.
    2. In the console tree, click Event Viewer.

The Application, Security, and System logs are displayed in the Event Viewer window.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindless Automaton View Post
    I had this exact problem about a week ago, and thought I had lost everything-- turns out the problem was EASY to solve:

I contacted Dell Customer Support. They initially told me they couldn't help, but then changed their minds. After an exchange of several emails they agreed to send me a replacedment "Operating System" CD (the CD also said things like, "Already Installed on Your Computer" and "Reinstallation DVD"). I started up my computer, pressed F12 to set my computer to boot from the CD/ DVD drive, and just followed the instructions from there. Nothing was lost, and I have had no problems since.

I had lost my original reinstallantion DVD, but Dell was more than happy to help me out with sending me a new one. My computer was still under warranty, so that may have made my case easier. Once they agreed to mail me the DVD, it arrived within 24 hours! This ended up being a FAST and EAST solution to what appeared to be an intractable problem! DO IT! GOOD LUCK!
    I must have been hackered since this part doesn't sound like me at all.

Anyways, some clarification:

I believe the event log is saved:
    %SystemRoot%\system32\winevt\Logs\Application.evtx
    (%SystemRoot% most likely being C:\windows)

I dont think the .evtx file is in a format that you can just open in notepad, so in Knoppix I used my Yahoo mail account to email the .evtx file to myself so I could open it on another computer with vista.

once I got the file open, I believe it said somewhere which manifest file was corrupted and then I emailed the manifest file from the working Vista machine to myself on Yahoo and used Knoppix to copy it over the corrupt file.

I hope that helps, its been a while since I've done it and I didn't keep very extensive notes.

I tried this. It's in Microsoft's on-line Help Manual software. It worked. I didn't have any more problems with start-up.

"Using Last Known Good Configuration" restore

Here are answers to some common questions about Last Known Good Configuration.

What is Last Known Good Configuration?
    It's a Windows startup option that uses the most recent system settings that worked correctly. Every time you turn your computer off and Windows shuts down successfully, important system settings are saved in the registry. You can use those settings to start your computer if a problem occurs. For example, if a new driver for your video card is causing problems, or an incorrect registry setting is preventing Windows from starting correctly, you can restart your computer using Last Known Good Configuration.

"When should I use Last Known Good Configuration?
    Try using Last Known Good Configuration if you can't start Windows, but it started correctly the last time you turned on the computer.

If you notice your system behaving strangely and Windows is still running, try using System Restore to return the system to an earlier point in time when things worked correctly. Unlike Last Known Good Configuration, changes made with System Restore can be undone (unless made in safe mode), and System Restore provides different points in time you can restore your system to. For more information, search Windows Help and Support for "System Restore."

Will Last Known Good Configuration affect my personal files?
    No, it only affects system settings and won't change your e‑mail, photos, or other personal data on your computer. It won't help you recover a deleted file or a corrupted driver. To do that, you need to have previously backed up the data, or you need to reinstall the driver from the original source.

How do I start the computer using Last Known Good Configuration?
    Follow these steps:

Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

Click the Start button , click the arrow next to the Lock button , and then click Restart.

Do one of the following:

If your computer has a single operating system installed, repeatedly press the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again.

If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start, and then press F8.

On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

If your computer has more than one operating system installed, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system that you want to start by using Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER. Windows will then resume starting normally."

I hope this helps someone.

Hello
    Its cool seeing brilliant minds putting ideas together to slove issues like dis, d@ tends to affect lifes cos. System issues like dis can make ppl loose jobs+ a whole lot of other messed up stuffs.
    I joined this forum particular for the above error message wch has been a serious chanllenge to me . I can't afford to loose my documents have tried a a whole lot of troubleshooting stunts but to no avail( system restore and repair with a bootable CD, removing the hardrive attaching it to another PC to debug etc. I need help on how to solve dis issue since I can't login even with "last know config. " Option . Can sum1 pls shead more light on ow to get and use the. Application.evtx file. I know dis discusion Must ve been a lil old but am presently in need of fresh ideas.

At all, I appreciate the advice on this forum. This error on Win Vista was very easy to fix using a combined number of steps from here. Just to summarize

1) I used Knoppix, which I got from a FTP mirror:
    2) Burned an image of that (you can use your built in CD maker) to burn the ISO image file onto a CD-R
    3) Booted the non-working Vista comp with the Knoppix CD (use f12 to get to your boot options to use the CD)

(Side note if you download the german version, and can't read german, choose option 12 on the choice screen then option 3)

4) Once in the GUI for knoppix, found the Application.etvx file in the directory for Windows\System32\event\log\application.etvx

5) Copied that file onto a USB and brought the file over to a working vista computer.
    6) The file opens in an Application program for vista. Find the "Error" in the list marked for SidebySide type. (you may see other errors of no consequence). There will be detailed description of the exact manifest file that is corrupted starting with "x86_windows.common" along with the file path...which should be "Windows\winsxs\manifests\x86..."
    7)Search the working windows computer for that exact file (you will find one)
    and copy it onto the USB
    8)Bring that back to the non working one and using the Knoppix GUI paste the good manifest file into the same file path (i.e. "Windows\winsxs\manifests\x86...") It will overwrite the bad one.

9)Reboot the comptuer normally and it should work :)

So I had this on a Dell laptop and solved it like this:

1. Removed the hard disk from the Dell and connected to my Desktop Windows 7 P.C via a U.S.B SATA adapter although you could just connect it to an internal SATA header if you don't have an adapter.

2. Find the hard disks operating system partition in 'My Computer' or 'Computer' in the start menu (not the recovery partition) mine was named 'F:\OS' and it will generally be the largest partition on the drive. If the partition has not been named it will show as a 'Local Disk (:F)'. I will assume yours will be 'F' too although it could differ.

3. Navigate to ‘F:\Windows\winsxs\Manifests’ and minimize the Window.

4. Navigate to ‘Control Panel\ Administrative Tools\Event Viewer’.

5. Click ‘Open Saved Log’ in Event Viewer and navigate to ‘F:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs’ and double click ‘Application’. Now click ‘Date and Time’ under ‘number of events’ in the Event Viewer to put the latest event at the top of the list.

6. Under ‘Source’ in Event Viewer look for the latest ‘SidebySide’ Error and click it. Some info is now displayed in the bottom box. Make a note of the corrupted Manifest file, mine was “C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.6002.18305_none_5cb72f2a088b0ed3.manifest” showing an error on line 112.

7. Maximize the ‘F:\Windows\winsxs\Manifests’ Window you minimized earlier and locate the file. There may be allot of similar files so use the search box if required. The difference is in the last part of the file name, ‘...ed3.manifest’. When found right click and copy the file.

8. Create a folder on your desktop called ‘ManifestCopys’, Open it and click ‘Paste’ to duplicate the file. Right click and ‘Paste again to duplicate another copy. The second one will say ‘COPY’ in the file name, right click it and select ‘Rename’ and change ‘COPY’ to ‘ORIG’.

9. Go back to the ‘F:\Windows\winsxs\Manifests’ Window and copy the file above the one we have just located. It should read almost the same. Mine was called, ‘x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.6002.18005_none_5cb72f96088b0de0.manifest’. Right click and copy this into your ‘ManifestCopys’ folder twice and rename the second one as we did the other one.

10. Go back to the ‘F:\Windows\winsxs\Manifests’ Window and delete the bad ‘x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.6002.18305_none_5cb72f2a088b0ed3.manifest’ file.

11. Install ‘Programmers Notepad’ and then open it.

12. Drag the first copy (i.e. Not the ORIG) of the other manifest file we copied last into programmers notepad’s window to reveal its text content. Click ‘Edit’ then ‘Goto’ and put in the line number that was reporting the error in Event Viewer. Highlight that line (in my case 112) and all below it to the end of the file and right click and ‘COPY’ it. Select ‘File’ in programmers notepad and then ‘Close’.

13. Drag the first copy (i.e. Not the ORIG) of the bad manifest file we copied first into programmers notepad’s window to reveal its text content. Click ‘Edit’ then ‘Goto’ and put in the line number that was reporting the error in Event Viewer. Highlight that line (in my case 112) and all below it to the end of the file and right click and ‘PASTE’. You may have noticed this file had a load of random crap at the bottom which should now be gone with your paste. Click ‘File’ and ‘Save’.

14. Navigate to ‘F:\Windows\winsxs’ and right click the ‘Manifests’ folder and click ‘Properties’ then the ‘Security’ tab (If you are doing this on XP or Vista you will first need to re-boot into Safe Mode)

15. Click ‘Edit’ then select your Username from the list. In the box below put a check in the Allow ‘MODIFY’ box, click Apply then OK out of this and the previous box.

16. Navigate to ‘F:\Windows\winsxs\Manifests’ folder and open it. Drag the corrupted / now modified manifest (not ORIG) from your desktop ManifestCopys folder into it.

17. Put the disk back into the machine it came out of and if asked select ‘Start Windows Normally’ and you should now be able to logon.
    Take note this will not cure any viruses or spyware that caused it to happen in the first place so now you got to sort that out, but at least you can now!

sparkyuiop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bad-file-1-jpg   good-file-jpg   modded-bad-file-jpg  
    Last edited by sparkyuiop; 24-01-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Re: Interactive logon process initialization has failed in Windows Vista

pls. help me i need help.. huhu..
    interactive log on initialization failed.. what can i do to repair this? i can't start my netbook. huhuhuhu.. pls. help me. :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast