the screen which lets me choose a 'complete PC restore' and then it starts
    to search and says, nothing can be found, yet there is a 5.3GB partition on
    my hard drive? I did make a disc but since it is less than 4.7GB I am
    afraid that it will be corrupt!?

Any ideas?

Billy

Michael Solomon Guest

Re: restoring from HP recovery partition failed

You need to contact HP for help with this.

dean-dean Guest

Are you trying to restore it by booting from your disc, or by invoking the
    Restore Wizard from within Windows? (Your documentation should tell you how
    to do this). Too, there may be a special hotkey that you need to press when
    booting to gain access to the Restore program...

Richard Urban Guest

Call HP of course.

Roswell1947 Guest

RE: restoring from HP recovery partition failed

OK, I have done some sniffing about and here is what we should do, on bootup
    with the HP system you will come to the blue screen with the HP logo on, once
    this appears, press F11 and follow the instructions for system restore using
    the backup supplied by HP, that is the one about 5.3 gig in the spare
    partition. I haven't tried it yet but will do later when I am down my dads as
    it is his problem.

Roswell1947 Guest

RE: restoring from HP recovery partition failed

I have exactly the same problem, it just won't let me pull in the factory
    restore. Look like I'll have to write to HP.

heh success using winpe.iso (no 'f10' working)

MSN NicknameprRobert (Original Message) Sent: 12/26/2007 5:15 AM
    god i'm so pissed. just to set this drive up
    what a pain in the ass. had to download winpe
    boot cd offa internet. install xp 2x just to
    get to this picture. But a freash formated
    partition for the stupid hp restore stuff
    to install back on. another 5 hour wait for
    stuff to find out or not if hacked.. sigh.
    and i manually formated instead of quick formated.
    another 15min of my life wasted. sigh. xp setup
    is excrutiating compared to 98. hurry up and
    wait all over again. hate to have to reboot in
    the middle of whatever just to do the thingymbober
    sigh.
    but progress. seems i just needed this winpe boot cd.
    sigh. hope i can get the boot menu to work the old
    'f10' everyone is talking about. but still through
    it all is the feeling that it is all still immaculate
    and sitting there with 7gigs of junk software..
    doing nothing.. and i'm like mining it out by hand.

lord o land o lifting.

format 25 gigs the hard way. 66% now. god will
    it never end? well at least up to this point has
    been painless. 74% seems all i do is wayt for stuff
    to happyn. last 20% it seems to take forever. sigh.
    watching numbers tick off. seems to be the shortcut
    to instand self hypnosis.. as the mind starts grabbing
    onto anything it can find to offset the boring mind
    knumbing numbness of it all. at last 95%.. it's almost
    over i think. damn you bill gates and you devotion to
    making us wait. shell a poker game in somehow someway..
    painfull to watch thesesseseseses longer and longer
    setups.
    sitgh.
    done.
    =====

here we are again i think. 2:30am in the morning.. and i'm running the "hp pc system recovery" again. 20min of my life sigh. think it had a prob with the boot.ini etc. also ran bsupdater.. which popped off no prob .. so maybe.. just maybe i'll be looking at a working copy of winxp hp style. god i hope it doesn't get all picky about the boot image. sigh. gotta admit.. as a repair console this winpe.iso i found seems to fit the bill as in terms of its effectiveness. sigh. i just know this isn't going to work in the end. sigh. i just know it. heh. but at least i got to watch a couple of neat progress bars go by. sigh.

hmm. i did notice that i ran the recovery proggie from the i386 folder, not the minint folder. prob will work out ok anyway. sigh hope it boots. sigh.

heh. here's the next 'something'. after creating an logical partition in a extended unpartitioned space.. didn't know i had to set the primary partition to be the active one. sigh. maybe this is why it didn't boot. i did this time. cross fingers.. that it works maybe. shrug. i dunno. not like i'm doing anything illegal here. it's a $100 computer what do you want?

oh wait. maybe i have to rehide the restore partition and swap somehow soas the logical drive becomes the boot drive. shake my head slowly at the outlook here. just don't know if it will work or not. think it might not matter as if afore mentioned active partition thingy works out. and i did do the bootsectore restore as well. so maybe even the f10 thing might work. sigh if only. then maybe might be another 20min re restoring again!! sigh.

and it only dumps out 5gigs of software when it is done. what a gype. :) time is now 2:40 in the am. sigh. don't seem to want to sleep much. guess i find this kinda stuff interesting. plus got cbc in the am christmas morning. so maybe a special time for me. like a power time or something. not quite sure .. what am i supposed to be feeling? am i happy? not really. just feel blocked migraine headachey. the ruff curled edges. grate against my sinuses. mostly on my right side of my face. like the world is pushing way to hard on me to succeed at what i will never understand or possibly comprehend. all i seem to stand for is 'f''d over.
    ===
    heh. almost killed me that time. had to boot into puppy linux just to set the flag on the hidden hp recovery partition. this time when the computer booted up.. the ntfs partition that i had just added as a primary, not logical.. sigh. 3 time is the charm.. and right off the bat i knew i had won. :) the recovery partition showed up as d:. which i knew i could hide later... but that gave me access to the recovery software yet again. and we are looking at just as long as the last time.. but at least now i had a receptive partition.. something that would hold the active boot load init.. straight from the first sector ala professional like. and i left me some 5 gig space for elive and maybe a mini puppy linux install dunno. see how i feel. maybe 4 and 1 gig's apeice. hmmm. sounds right.

gosh this feels so good. like a baseball sinking into mitt. a satisfied knowing of a good catch.

:)

it is officially 3:24am in the christmas am.

ok... 3:42am.. and i'm gonna reboot this monkey!!
    wish me luck sigh...

===

heh, ok, guess what. on reboot got a code purple alert. what ever that was. ran (oh yes .. again) xp home setup and was able to repair the installed partition.

===
    tips:
    how to make the c:restore partition go back to d: (and later hide it). boot linux .. i used puppylinux. 2.15ced. fire up cfdisk /dev/hda.. change the type to 0x12 (compaq hidden partition).. reboot. heh. now that you can't find it.. reboot linux. change it back to 0b (fat32) and reboot your winpe.iso.. voila! c: is now d:, and you are left with the secondary partition you created.

.. i don't think there are any excessive copy protection in effect other than locating a winpe.iso to fire up the recovery prog software. oh and of course the dance around not being able to make a logical drive a bootable partition. also very much fun to set up using diskpart. sigh.

cross posted at:
    groups.msn.com/cheapcomputer
    'kl8r/ra:)

====

----no help---
    Hello rob,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

I understand from your email that you are unable to perform System Recovery using Recovery partition HP Pavilion a700y (PJ618AV) CTO Desktop PC as the system reports an error message..

Rob, at this moment, I recommend you to perform System Recovery using Recovery CDs. You can contact our phone support team and can avail Recovery CDs for your PC. I regret to inform you that we at HP E-mail support are not authorized to ship recovery CDs.The issues related to shipping of parts are currently addressed by our Phone Support team.

The phone number in the US and Canada is 1-800-474-6836. Business hours are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The idea of redirecting you is not to disappoint and let you down from our support. We are also bind by the limitations and I am sure our phone support technicians will be happy to assist you in this regard. I hope you can understand our limitations and scope of support.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our Web site at:
    http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

Sincerely,

Helen
    HP Total Care