Thread: Error 429 : ActiveX component can't create object

Error 429 : ActiveX component can't create object

I recently upgraded one of my Windows XP system to Vista Business. There are few important programs associated with my profession which was using comfortably on XP but are now not working on Windows Vista. All these programs are created in VB6 and i guess they should run fine but does not run on my version of Vista Business. Every time it ends up with an error message saying:

"Error 429 : ActiveX component can't create object"

Any idea what could be the problem though it is created in VB6? It is a business application and very important to make it work. Any idea how can we make it work? Many thanks.

Re: Error 429 : ActiveX component can't create object

Most probably the reason behind this error would be that particular activex object may not be registered on your system, so you may need to install it. Otherwise try running the program elevated. See if it helps.

Yeah, that is correct. It appears like the DLL is not registered properly.. Are you using Microsoft Best Practices? If the app tries to write anything to Program Files on the target computer where the user is not an ADMIN, you can get such error messages. Anyways, you can find the related DLL file in Program Files\Common Files\Company Name\DLLName.dll and not System32%.

Thank you very much for the help guys. I tried to regsvr32 the file: documark_bsl.dll under the c:\Program Files\Midmark\Documark directory but still we are getting an error message when completing the previously stated
    procedure. The module "documark_bsl.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80004005.

Now what? All helps appreciated.

Just do this. Go to Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.Try registering the component from an elevated Command Prompt window. It will fix the problem.

The answer is supposedly here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247979
    I haven't tried it.
    There is a scripting issue, and on this link above there is a patch that you can download and install.
    Let us know how it works out.

I'm facing the same problem.... have you finally found a solution????

I have the same problem, and the link to the 'solution' involves coding something or other, and the download is just the scripting program. I mean really? It would prob take them about 30min to make a patch/fix and make it self installing. You would think MS would just create it themselves and allow poeple to d/l it, rather then instructing them how to code it. Not everyone can write code or understand it. Seems Ironic they admit to their error and toss some instructions at you on how to fix it.
    Guess some of us will just have to wait for the service pack that will surely come. Which sucks cause I was perfectly happy with my XP what a waste of 200.oo for win 7 pro.
    Last edited by Argamonius; 30-01-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Argamonius View Post
    I have the same problem, and the link to the 'solution' involves coding something or other, and the download is just the scripting program. I mean really? It would prob take them about 30min to make a patch/fix and make it self installing. You would think MS would just create it themselves and allow poeple to d/l it, rather then instructing them how to code it. Not everyone can write code or understand it. Seems Ironic they admit to their error and toss some instructions at you on how to fix it.
    Guess some of us will just have to wait for the service pack that will surely come. Which sucks cause I was perfectly happy with my XP what a waste of 200.oo for win 7 pro.
    Somebody at microsoft was able to fix this issue. What he did was he added reference to Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library instead of Microsoft DAO 3.51 Object Library in his project and it worked, now both on Windows Server 2003 and on Windows XP Professional. Dunno whether it works on Windows 7 or not but you can give it a try.