Thread: Vista Eats Up All My Hard Drive Space...

Vista Eats Up All My Hard Drive Space...

I have a new laptop here. It is a Dell system which has 80GB hard drive only. There is a single partition only in it. I was having windows xp before. I removed it and installed Vista Ultimate. The problem here is that, Vista just consume a huge space of the partition. It took more than 60GB and I am left with 20GB only. I thought Vista might take around 20GB which is quiet enough. How can it take so much space.

Vista can use 15 GB of space. But so can other programs. I have 1 program that comes on 2 DVDs and uses about 7 GB IIRC. How large are the programs you installed? System Restore will use some space. If your Dell has a hidden partition to restore the computer to original, that can take more space.

Vista consumes less than 15GB of space I think. If you install additional programs then the space is increased, but here 60GB is really high enough. Go in your system partition and check for windows.old folder. If this folder is present, then the setup has not wiped out old windows files due to which you are getting this issue. You will need to delete this folder. The best way of doing the same is by running Disk Cleanup. You must select every option from here and then run the setup.

This can be due to some files copied in your system partition. I will recommend you to format your system back. Just boot your system with Vista disc and then run a clean system format. You will have to format everything here. Do not run a upgrade setup here. The upgrade setup usually does not touch the old system files and leave them in the background due to which you face this kind of problem. Just run a clean setup and then check back.