Thread: Vista Security Center incorrectly reports Defender switched off and no anti-virus

Ian Nicholls Guest

Vista Security Center incorrectly reports Defender switched off and no anti-virus

Well the subject header says it all! Vista Home Premium has been working ok for a couple of weeks when suddenly it reports that Defender is not switched on, and I have no anti-virus software loaded. Well, Defender is on and Avast! is definitely loaded and working. If I try to switch Defender on it searches for updates and still says it's switched off. I've re-installed Avast! and I'm still told it's not there!

Anyone else with these problems?

Ian

Windows Vista reports that Defender is not switched on!

I am in exactly the same position but with AVG virus protection!

Anyone who can help, please?

i had this problem also on vista and i fixed it by running registryfix then restarting it was also running the memory test then not starting the program after numerous attempts to start it and after the reg fix and restart it did this again but started on the second attempt and i think these problems may be linked to a worm affecting an avast file in win32 which i just got rid of (i hope! the current scan will determine this on completion) with a boot time scan after which windows wasnt recognising the antivirus so i un installed avast and downloaded it again re installed it still had the problem so ran reg fix restarted and reported my resolution here where i looked before for a solution but didnt find one other than people saying on other similar threads elsewhere just ignor it monitor it yourself....... i however would rather not and dont think this is wise advise at all as there is obviously a problem as it was ok before but the above mentioned are the steps i took to resolve the issue though i only reinstalled avast as i wasnt sure if the infected file i removed was what was causing the problem if you havnt had the win32 worm you could just try running registryfix and restarting contact me if you dont have a copy ;-)

and just to add my first attempt to start avast did start up though sometime later as i just noticed after writing my reply it was open twice with only 1 running a scan so both probs seem to have been resolved completely with registryfix!!

FromTheRafters Guest
    I wonder if the OP is still concerned about this after a full year has
    passed?

I hope not, otherwise he/she might actually try to run that registry fix
    crapware.

Ǝиçεl Guest

Re: Vista Security Center incorrectly reports Defender switched of

Please note that for future postings, you are encouraged to use rules of
    grammar and puntuation.

What you wrote above - I would liken it to you walking into a room and
    speaking as fast as you can without taking another breath. It would be
    annoying in person as well. ;-)

sm_on_live Guest

Re: Vista Security Center incorrectly reports Defender switched off and no anti-virus

I too have same problem, but the reason was different. It all started after
    a Windows update.

My environment is:
    - Windows Vista 64-bit
    - CA ISS 2009 anti-virus

CA customer service told me that this is known issue with recent Windows
    updates and even McAfee and Norton users are experiencing it. They also told
    me that Microsoft is working on it. After that, I think, there were 2
    updates, which have not removed this issue.

I have not seen this issue with my other Windows XP machines, all are being
    32-bit with CA ISS 2009. I don't have either Vista 32-bit or XP 64-bit.
    Another of my netbook is with Windows 7 Starter (32-bit) and Norton (60 day
    trial) is used on it.

I hope someone form Microsoft will give correct answer.

jolin Guest

Re: Vista Security Center incorrectly reports Defender switched off and no anti-virus

Many people encounter the following computer problems: take a long time to start up, load websites or run programs. Recently I find functional software which can fix all these problems just with one click: tuneup360, maybe you guys could have a try.