Thread: Still Cannot Add Network Printer - Access Denied

Still Cannot Add Network Printer - Access Denied

I have three computers I my Office connected with the small network. Earlier two of them were running on XP and one on XP Media Center. I have two printers installed on the network and all three PCs were able to access it comfortably. Now I have upgraded my XP Media Center to Windows Vista. And since then started problem with printers. I have all systems on the same Network and Workgroup but still Vista is not able to access the any of the network printer.

As per troubleshooting I set them all on static IPs connected to a Linksys WRT54G Router. My laptop is connected via an Intel 2200 Wi-Fi Adapter. All three computers have the same User name and same password. But still when I try to add printers on Vista using Add Printer Wizard, it is able to see the printers but when try to add them; it ends up with an error message saying “Access Denied.” I tried out several other methods like browsing to the computer and right click on the shared printers and chose connect. Still Access Denied.

Now I have nothing left to try. Hope somebody here can tell me where is the problem and how can I make my Vista access the printers. Thanks for all your helps.

Re: Still Cannot Add Network Printer - Access Denied

Hello Izhaar, you are not along with that problem buddy, count me in too. Infact while searching help for this problem on web i found 100s of people reporting the same Access Denied errors with Windows Vista but there is no solution yet. So one thing is for sure that this is apparently a widespread problem. In my case, today i am going to try hanging the printer off a Vista box and sharing it and see if I can get to it from another Vista box. Will update here whatever the result is.

Hey guys, here is the update. Seems like it works. As i said i hung the printer off a Vista box and was able to assign it as a network printer on another Vista box, no problem. I'm running XP Home on the PC that's sharing the printer. Don't know if Professional or MCE would make a difference.

See if you are able to get any success by doing so.

Hey Arzhela, even i am trying to figure out this problem since a week now but nothing seems to be working. I found only one person, just you, who says he fixed the problem. But i am not able to understand what you have did exactly.
    Could you please explain what precisely is a Vista Box? Thanks for the help.

I am using Vista Beta2 as well. On my system File sharing with all other computers on the network works great but dont know why still I cannot find a way to share the XP Home printer with VISTA. Any working solution for the same?

Can anyone tell me why there are no MVPs weighing here today with either a solution or an explanation? Hope any MVP confirms me if it is not fixed in the shipping version of Vista I will not upgrade my laptop and I will never upgrade the desktop these are connected to because I don't use it enough to justify it.