Thread: Windows Explorer Crashes when entering Video Folder

Windows Explorer Crashes when entering Video Folder

I am using this Vista desktop since a week. I love watching movies hence I have about 5 GB of video clips stored in my Videos folder. Problem is whenever I try to open this Video folder, Windows Explorer crashes immediately. No matter whatever way I try getting into, whether it is by exploring or through windows Media player, result is same.

Any idea what could be the problem? To me it seems like Windows is trying to generate the Thumbnails and meanwhile it crashes. How can if fix the problem? Please help.

Re: Windows Explorer Crashes when entering Video Folder

This is very well known problem with few earlier versions of Windows. This is called as disk-thrashing which occurs if there use to be large number of video files in single folder. ANyways, you can fix it easily by disabling the number of file-handlers so that they can't do thumbnail extraction. I have done this several times long years ago hence dont remember the exact procedure. You can simply search Google for the same. I am sure you will get the steps.

Hey guys, even i have very similar problem with my Vista. Unlike OP i have just 6 videos/Movies in my Videos folder. Though it can generate the thumbnails without any problem but Windows Explorer crashes immediately just after generating thumbnails.

Any help please?

Did you guys tried disabling DEP. If not, give it a try.

Open command prompt as ADMIN and type the following:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Press ENter and reboot the system. Let me know if it helps.

Had the same problem, as you say seems like a problem loading thumbnails, found a workaround for XP users:

Open My Documents > view (select anything but thumbnails)

Click Tools > Folder options > View Tab > click Apply to all folders > click yes

My videos will now open without crashing, changing the view of my videos back to thumbnails causes the problem to reoccur.

Thanks, I had same issue. fixed by changing the view. The below link also provide an alternative solution for this.

thanks, it worked! but it still crashes all the time whenever i tried to change it back to thumbnail format. is there a solution for this? :(

I realize this is an old thread, but I found it while searching for a similar problem. The problem described above is more than likely a codec problem. When you open folders that display thumbnails, the codec is used to create the thumbnail for any videos it decodes.

If you have a lot of different video formats in the same folder, try moving one at a time to a new folder then view thumbnails there until you find the format that isn't working. Then, update the codec for that video format.

i have moved my video to a new folder n tried to to enable the thumbnails but the windows explorer still crashing at the moment i dont now which video is which because there just icon so its very hard to find the video which i want so please help!!

Quote Originally Posted by mobeen View Post
    i have moved my video to a new folder n tried to to enable the thumbnails but the windows explorer still crashing at the moment i dont now which video is which because there just icon so its very hard to find the video which i want so please help!!
    Can you try to uninstall/reinstall the any codec pack that is installed in your computer. Another solution would be to uninstall all the third party codec packs and media players you may have installed and install the K-lite codec pack instead which has been tested against incompatibility issues. Test this by changing the view to "list" or "small icons". If the problem goes away you've narrowed the problem to thumbnails.

what is the codec pack how do u find it help please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mobeen View Post
    what is the codec pack how do u find it help please!!!
    Codec Pack are nothing but software that handles different video file formats. You just need to go to control panel and from there you have to check what all software's are installed in your computer. Once you find out that any codecs are installed, then immediately remove it and then reboot your computer and download k-lite codec pro and install it in your computer.

Simple way to fix this problem.
    go to the said folder. right click>View>List