Thread: Windows Vista freezes on boot but works normal upon restart

Windows Vista freezes on boot but works normal upon restart

My system freezes on boot. After typing the password on welcome screen. I can only see the start button and my wallpaper. There is nothing, no icons, task bard, etc. I had also added some widget on the desktop which is not loaded. But when I restart it the system works fine. I have to do that through the cpu case. I tried hitting ctrl + alt + del but it is not working. Task Manager does not comes up at all. Upon restart I scanned for virus, there is nothing found. What can be the issue.

Re: Windows Vista freezes on boot but works normal upon restart

I think the problem lies with some startup applications. Click on Start and in that type msconfig and hit enter. In the window go to the startup section and then click on hide all Microsoft services. Then disable everything. Then try to restart and check back.

This kind of problem can be with the OS. The explorer is facing issue here. This can be due to virus also. But lets just go with some basic troubleshooting options. Go in control panel > Uninstall program and one by one remove everything. Remove all those applications which you are not using. Any theming stuff or third party software. When you remove the same your system gets a bit more stable. It is necessary that you wipe them out completely. The next thing you can do is download and install a system cleaner tool like CCleaner. This tool is a nice scanner that check your system for damage files and clean the same up. Run this when you are done with uninstalling application. Then boot your system back. If still the problem persist then the only option left here is to boot in safe mode and scan your pc with a good antivirus. I think that will be more than enough to fix the issue. When you scan your pc in safe mode there are more chances of getting it cleaned. Many services, drivers does not work in safe mode. If your existing antivirus does not find anything, then juts for surety that your pc is clean, download a bootable antivirus scanner and scan your system.

I do not think that will much help. There one thing you can try and it will fix the issue. Boot your system in safe mode first. Then launch cmd and in that type sfc /scannow and hit enter. This is a system file checker tool that scans your system for damage system files and replace them.

You can try system restore. This might be helpful to some extent. You can try this. System restore is one of the best way to resolve system related issue. There is only single negative point here. When you run this based on older date and if on that date there is some virus then it will restore it. So it is a bit complicated to deal with. You can also run startup repair. It can be done through bootable Vista disc. Just boot your system with that click on Startup Repair. This will scan your system and fix the files that are improperly loaded on boot. This works really well. Last week my system crashed with blue screen. I ran startup repair and the issue is resolved. Till now the system is working fine. There is one more place where you can find detail information on your problem. This lies in Control Panel > Event Viewer. Just go in that and checkout for error details. Click on the recent errors and checkout description. I think that will be more helpful here. You can post the error log here. On that basis it will be easier to find which application in the background is causing the trouble.

I think the issue lies with some application which is not able to start properly on boot. If you un-install the same then the issue can be resolved. You can find the associated file in Event Viewer and then through that you can locate the program.

If you did not find the problem with the application then there can be hardware issue in your system. I got the issue due to a damage ram. First there was constant bluescreen on my system. The pc just keep son crashing after working on the same for a while. I replaced the ram and the issue was resolved. Sometime the same problem also occur due to bad sectors in the hard drive. There are few things you can try here to find out whether your system is working fine or not. Just type chkdsk and hit enter in cmd. This is a check disk utility which will check your hard drive for bad sectors and list the same at the end. If there are bad sectors detected at the end then you will have to replace the hard drive. Start taking backup of your data. Another thing you can do is run a repair setup of Vista. The repair setup does not touch your data but just overwrite the system files. So if there is any major issue then it will be resolved.

That is why I always keep a system image ready with me. I am using Acronis here. It helps me to create a image file through which I can restore my pc in case of problem. You must create that after a fresh installation and restore it whenever needed.