Thread: Laptop Won't Recognize Printer Drivers, Help!

Laptop Won't Recognize Printer Drivers, Help!

I have been trying to install a Brother MFC-J615W printer. Everything seems to install but nothing prints. When I right click on the printer icon and try to look at properties I get an error message that the printer drivers are not installed.

I've been on the phone with Brother Support and they are blaming my computer. I've installed from their website, from the cd and also used the repair tool. Same error message every time.

I've also installed using the USB cable setup as well as the wireless setup and still get the same error message.

I'm tearing my hair out. It works fine wirelessly, from my laptop running Windows 7, but I have to get this to run on the Vista Laptop as well. The Vista laptop is the main one we use and the other I use for travel. I'm leaving on Wed and have to get this working before I leave. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I've been on another forum and was told it has to be a problem with the laptop. Its just weird that the print function worked fine on the laptop until I installed the new printer. The old printer completely died or I would switch back to see if I could still print on the old one. Is there anything that can be done?

I have a Gateway MC78 series with a duel processor, using Vista Ultimate.

Re: Laptop Won't Recognize Printer Drivers, Help!

Have you tried out installing the drivers manually, if not then just try it out and see if it is helping
    To manually install a printer driver

Quote Originally Posted by fflygirl View Post
    Have you tried out installing the drivers manually, if not then just try it out and see if it is helping
    To manually install a printer driver
    Yes I did, it didn't work. I've also been directed to uninstall all printers and go into the registry and delete the printer drivers, then reinstall. Still got the same error message. It seems that Vista is not recognizing the printer drivers. I see them installed, they are there.

I've also done scannow from the command prompt but it didn't see any errors. I show no yellow ! in the device manager. Also ran the FixIt tool from Microsoft but it didn't see any printer errors. Just ran the windows memory diagnostic tool yesterday, on advanced, and it did not find any errors.

The printer does work wirelessly with my laptop running Windows 7 but I travel with that and my husband has to print from the Vista Ultimate laptop for work. So the printer does work just can't get the Vista laptop to work with it.

I have tried running setup wirelessly as well as with a USB printer cable but get the same error message - no printer drivers installed.

Which version of Vista have you installed in the laptop, is it 32 bit or 64 bit? Sometimes due to bad hard drives it could be possible that the printer drivers might be not installing properly. So, can you do a chkdsk on the hard drive and see if it gives any kind of error? It definately seems to be a problem with laptop or some messup in it. Can you try a repair installation of the Vista operating system as well and after it is done, try to reinstall the latest printer drivers again.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

I am running Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I did a sfc snannow from the command prompt. Also ran the windows memory diagnostic tool, not the standard scan but the in depth scan. No errors were found.