Thread: after system restore, all programs and files and downloads are missing

after system restore, all programs and files and downloads are missing

So this all started a few days ago when I got a message from windows saying some files on my hard drive were corrupted and needed to restart to fix it. I did so and when it started up it windows restore started up and started doing its thing but then it exited itself in the process.

I then clicked on the shortcut for it and it claimed that the program did not exist. Over the next few minutes I realized a massive amount of files were missing, all of my user documents and downloads and about half of my program files. After that I noticed that many of the games I have still work despite the fact that all the files are gone. Also when I looked at my hard drive space it shows that there is exactly the same amount of space as before all this happened so I've been thinking that they are probably still there but I just cant get to them.

So at this point I am completely lost at how this can happen and how to retrieve my files/folders, any ideas?

Re: after system restore, all programs and files and downloads are missing

You can try to undo the system restore and check if the files still exist. To undo the changes System Restore makes

1. Open System Restore by clicking theStart button. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, clickSystem Restore.* If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Click Undo System Restore, and then click Next.

3. Review your choices, and then click Finish.