Thread: "Trojan" in Appdata/local/temp.. annoying and killing my performance

"Trojan" in Appdata/local/temp.. annoying and killing my performance

The issue is, I'm using symantec antivirus on Vista Ultimate 64 bit (biggest mistake of my life to put 64 bit btw) and one day it just started finding dozens of viruses in my C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Temp

Sometimes its autoprotect, sometimes its Defwatch scan, sometimes it quarantines, sometimes it "leaves alone", 2wice it said reboot required, sometimes it says "delete was partially successful" sometimes it says "the file was left unchanged", or "the file was quarantined successfully"

But the file name is ALWAYS This: "DWH****.tmp"

One more important thing is, when ever I do the "live update' It starts detecting again.. and if I dont delete them from that directory It keeps multiplying everytime I update..

So I read somewhere that this is a virus definition problem where when the temporary file's name changes it catches it as a virus since viruses also do that.. sometimes.. or so i've heard because I really dont know crap about this stuff.. SO I did this: I deleted the stuff in quarantine, went it safe mode, deleted the damn files from the directory (making a selection box from bottom to top and pressing Shift+delete.. because some duide on the internet said thats what i should do) so it worked finr .. Untill I updated my antivirus again..

So.. yea.. i donno if its actually a trojan.. if it is. what type.. because all my antivirus says is "Trojan" and I dont know what to do.. It is killing my computer's performance .. its constantly detecting and deleting and quarantining stuff.. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FromTheRafters Guest

Re: "Trojan" in Appdata/local/temp.. annoying and killing my performance

What have the Symantec support people suggested?

Re: "Trojan" in Appdata/local/temp.. annoying and killing my performance

Well I did the live chat thing . they told me that i had to pay 100$ U.S to get my pc remotely checked for viruses and stuff..
    But when I told him about the virus definition problem possibility he didnt seem to know shit.. he just kept saying you have to get this package..

Basically. all he was concerned about was getting me to pay him 100$ for him to MAYBE fix my computer...

but I thought maybe someone here might know a better solution.. without me having to pay 100$ or format my computer.. I've had this damn "virus" or maybe false Viruses for like 3 months now.. all its doing is slowing my pc down.. it hasn't really done anything else..

What if.. its a spyware?,,, oh shit.. i didn't think of that.. is that a possibility?