Thread: "Element not found" error , Windows update for sp2

"Element not found" error , Windows update for sp2

I have contacted MS over this and all they can advise is to try a factory restore. Which I think is B.S. Anyone know the binary root cmd for this problem where Vista update even after running the readiness tool and all other suggestions, that windows update does not recognize the "element".. this was a problem in windows server 2004 and it was simple to fix with a cmd prompt system root, command which recognized the OS built into the chip.. I really do not want to do a factory restore over "one update" especially when all other updates are going in fine. Anyone else going through this nightmare..

Tae Song Guest

Re: "Element not found" error , Windows update for sp2

Delete c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log (a persistent copy is stored in
    cbs.persist.log)

Run SFC /SCANNOW

If it saids something like some components could not be repaired, then...

findstr /c:"verify" "c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log"

and post the text output.

Re: "Element not found" error , Windows update for sp2

'windows resource did not find any integrity problems"

after "Scannow was used" I went ahead and deleted the "cbs.persistant file" did you want the whole folder deleted too or just the "persistant file"

Oh by the way thanks for your help and support.. I went through the chat service with MS got forwarded to India, fought the language barrier, the dude came in through "remote" and screwed around for an hour, lost all my connections manager, ended up with a real mess, did a quick restore to a previous point before the "Indian so called tech" went in and started over.. Have tried all file deletes regarding windows update service,, tried the Windows readiness tool, rebooted ,, re tried , re deleted all files ran windows tool again, rebooted, downloaded the stand alone package, same thing,, Did the battle with my "IP provider and temporarily un installed the anti virus software etc, shut all but the basic programs down, tried a clean boot, then tried to install the stand alone , package,, same thing ,,, "element not found" which brings me back to that somehow or other the "update installer/server is not getting into the OS stored in the chip.. I even tried to remove all administrator rights to 'OOBE" stage or out of box begin,, and re create the 1 administrator which is all this lap top has is one administrator except the original from manufacturer which is Lenovo/IBM Think vantage laptop running windows basic.. But there seems to be no way at present for this Sp 2 update is going to go in ,,, period... I had no problem way back with SP1 and there have been 3 other updates that MS has come up with since the 26 of May when SP2 was announced and offered,, and they are going in right around the SP2 update ,, and all install except sp2 so at present have it unticked, and had to change "automatic updating to the setting where , it says ,, "Notify me when updates are available and let me choose whether to install them " other wise the system will keep trying to install an update where error "element cannot be found" comes up. Other than that the system is running fine and have had no problems, system is clean, has good defrag diskeeper,, (which brings up a question,, Diskeeper about a year ago , came out with 2008 pro,, which when installed at that time,, if one was to run the "Boot Defrag" option,, it really defragged the boot,, it wiped the whole boot out , and it took them almost 7 months to come up with an update.. I wonder if that may be the "root" of the tree but am unsure , if I un install the "diskeeper" program,, if it will restore the "registry back to original state as built by MS ??????? That is about the only thing I can think of that has produced any kind of a """Deep system access violation" all other software except ,, I was thinking "Office Org 3.01" by sun java systems ,, has changed all the defaults,, from "windows note pad or word pad to "office.Org as the official reader of all text documents" So as that "Vista" uses either word pad or the other generic reader if a person does not have "Windows office suite" installed ,, Maybe that may be the problem.. that was to be my next attack of this pesky little annoyance.. However ,, I really do not want to resort to a 'factory restore" there is just too much on this and almost impossible to copy and sort through,, plus all the connections etc that I use for business purposes to access ,, well they take ages to set up,, and also my computer knowledge is lets say ,, "just enough to be considered dangerous" but that is about where it ends.
    Thanks