Thread: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data?

An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data?

My Windows Vista is not working. I have a HP laptop with Windows Vista 32bit installed on it. When I start my pc I got a error saying that due to some recent changes Windows is unable to start. I had used Windows installation disk to make my computer work. I initiated repair setup but that does not work at all. I am getting error on that also. The error code is 0xc000000f which says that due to error Windows is unable to read boot configuration data. I hope the repair disk must work here, as that is the only option we are having to fix this thing.

Re: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data?

It looks you are in serious trouble. But there are some ways to fix the same. Boot your PC with Vista installation disc first. Then click on Repair. Click on Startup repair and wait for a while. Vista will detect any startup issue and fix the same. If that does not worked then again go to Repair option and in that click on cmd. In the command prompt window type bootrec?rebuildbcd and hit enter.

The same error is occuring on my laptop, except it isn't booting from my disc. Could somebody please help me?! I have an HCL Me, btw.

this error also happened to my laptop.and i am worried if it can be fixed. with the solution posted above,does it mean that a reformat will be needed on my hard drive? Will all my files be deleted?

Hey guys if the above solution is not helping you then you can try out the second and the third method that has been mentioned here, which is Rebuilding the BCD store by using the Bootrec.exe tool and Rebuilding the BCD store manually by using the Bcdedit.exe tool, just check it out and see if they are helping.