5k4r5 Guest

CoD4 Profile Transferring

I've been searching through forums trying to find a place to ask this,
    and I'm not sure if this is the right place. I just bought a new laptop
    with Vista Home Premium 64 bit on it, and I wanted to transfer my CoD4
    files from my old XP desktop to my laptop. I've tried messing around
    with a flash drive and some files, but I kept getting an error saying,
    "Cannot read blah blah, resetting data." Does anyone know that files I
    would need to put on the flash drive or anything else for this to work?

--
    5k4r5

Tim Guest

Re: CoD4 Profile Transferring

Just copy the profile dir to a flashdrive and install CoD4 on your new
    computer. Then start CoD4 and create a profile. Copy the profile files on
    your flashdrive into the directory made by CoD4 with the created profile
    name. Problem solved (as long as the CD-key is the same, but it probably
    is.)

5k4r5 Guest

Profile dir? My path to what I am copying is Program Files, Call of Duty
    4 - Modern Warfare, Players, Profiles, and then should I copy that whole
    file (named 5K4R5) or copy all the components inside? There is a folder
    inside my 5K4R5 folder called "save," a CFG file titled "config_mp.cfg,"
    another CFG file called "config.cfg," and another file called "mpdata."
    Inside the save file is another folder called "autosave," and another
    folder called "internal," and then what looks like a bunch of SVG
    Documents with the single player missions. Again, could you tell me what
    I need to copy exactly? Thanks so much for your help and time.

5K4R5

--
    5k4r5

Tim Guest

Go to: C:\Program Files\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\Players\Profiles\

Copy the directory of your profile. You named your profile in the game:
    "5K4R5", so copy the directory with that name to anywhere you want, but
    remember where you save it.

Install CoD4 on your new system. Start the game. Create a profile. Then quit
    CoD4.

Copy all the content of the "5K4R5" directory to
    C:\Program Files\Call of Duty 4 - Modern
    Warfare\Players\Profiles\[PROFILENAME]\

[PROFILENAME] will be probably a directory with in this case the name:
    "5K4R5" of you create a profile in your newly installed CoD4 with that name.

Good luck
    Tim

Andy [YaYa] Guest

You'll forgive me, I don't own CoD4 PC (just xbox), but shouldn't the
    profile be kept in the c:\users folder, or does CoD4 run elevated all the
    time?

--
    -A.

Along these same lines, I have a problem of copying my COD4 profile too.
    My situation: I have COD4 installed on Windows Vista, and I've been playing it for quite awhile- don't want to lose my profile, again !!

I've added a WindowsXP partition to my computer so I can dual boot either Vista or XP, and I've installed COD4 on to my XP partition. I've tried the simple suggestion of simply copying my profile folder on my Vista partiton over to my XP installation. Trust me- it dosen't work.

Then I'm thinking my profile data is saved elsewhere than the normal location. So I do a search across ALL 4 DISK drives on my computer, looking for profile folders or files named "config_mp.cfg" or "config.cfg" or "mpdata" and there ain't any, anywhere. Where in the heck is my profile being saved ??!?!?!?!? online somewhere ?

I even got frustrated enough to copy my whole friggin' "Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare" folder over to my XP partiton, and I still have a beginner profile to start with.

What is going on ?!??!?!?!!?

OK, I think I can help. Just figured this one out myself.

Make sure your CD/Auth/Product Key matches on Vista and XP, if you misstype your product key on the new install, this will give you the same error as simply swapping the files has so far. Product Key on the game you're running MUST match the product key associated with the mpdata file.

First, if you haven't, install COD4 on the laptop. Once installed, run game, start a new player (with the same name as on your other box - This may not be necessary, but I KNOW IT WORKS, so, don't skip this step) - jump on a server then close out of the game completely.

Now, still on the Vista box, open windows explorer, activate "view hidden files and folders", navigate to "C:\Users\YourVistaAccountName\AppData\ Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\"
    Find the Players folder and delete it... back it up first if you have any progress on the new system. Make sure you delete the entire Players folder, not just the game data.
    Now, still on Vista, navigate to "C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\"
    Once in the COD4 main directory, paste the entire "Players" folder from your XP system (from USB Key, CD, mem card, what ever your poison) with all of its subdirectories to this location.
    THIS IS IMPORTANT
    Right click the icon on your desktop, click properties, and on the 3rd or 4th tab there is a check-box near the bottom that says "Run this program as administrator" or something to that extent (I appologize, at work right now) - Check this box. If you do not run as administrator every time, you will lose ported data.
    I don't know if it is a conflict between Vista and XP or what, but I did the same thing you did, wondered through all the walk throughs, finally pieced this one together and it works like a charm.
    Don't forget to turn "View hidden files and folders" off when you're done so you don't go deleting stuff you need later.

NIGHTMARE, sorry man, completely missed your post. I'm not sure of removing old data and what not on the XP partition, but to just find your data on the Vista box, look in the same location I'm telling the original poster to delete from in the above instructions.
    "C:\Users\YourVistaName\Appdata\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty - Modern Warfare" - And again, you will have to have "view hidden files and folders" selected in your explorer options.

COD4 is the only game I've installed so far that uses this VirtualStore crap and it is maddening when you have no idea where to look for your game data.
    Last edited by mmould03; 13-01-2009 at 12:44 AM.

thanks mucho, mmould03 ! Actually, I just found this same bit of info yesterday !
    What fried me was, I used Vista's search function and did a search of the whole hard drive for these config files. Why didn't those config_mp.cfg or mpdata files that were in the VirtualStore area, show up in my searches, along with the ones in the \program files\activision\....\players\profiles\ did???!?!? That's what sent me on a wild goose chase from the beginning.
    When I'd get promoted or unlock challenges and stuff in the game, I'd look at the modified dates on those files and they never changed, and I wondered how could that be ?!?!? So I knew they had to be stored somewhere else on the hard drive, but where !??!!?!?
    As I said, thanks very much for looking for me. I hope I can return the favor for you sometime !

To find crap in the VirtualStore location, do the following in the search menu in Windows -
    Choose "Search Everywhere" then "Advanced Search" then "Location Hard Drives," Check the box "Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files (might be slow)"
    Not sure about the "Location Hard Drives" bit, but the "Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files (might be slow)" bit is absolutely necessary. It turns out that windows vista DOES NOT index files in the virtualstore - From my research, I've found that the virtualstore is some sort of security measure that Microsoft has been preaching about for years. When a program (COD4) puts config files or ini files (basically files that users can alter to affect the software their designed for) in the same directory or directory tree as the program they affect, Vista now moves those configuration files to the virtualshare where they are left with read/write access. Supposedly any software that does this or tells the operating system to select location will have their config/ini files sent to this area.
    This is the same with older (win 95/98/me type) software as well.
    Long story short, Microsoft might have just left you a pop-up that said "BTW, all your files for this crap's in c:/users/bob/virtual...."
    Happy Fragging!