Thread: A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within

A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within

I recently just built a PC with my friends (around March or April) and have had no real problems with the computer until I moved into my new place (after the computer was in storage for the summer). I am not very good with computers and while I have tried searching forums for people with similar problems, I do not fully understand all the computer lingo in order grasp what is really wrong. Basically, since I got my computer back and started playing games (the main reason I built it), the games have been freezing along and while sometimes its continually replaying the sound, other times it goes to a blue screen saying "A clock interrupt was not received..." I took a picture of it rather than me trying to explain something I don't understand. Anyways, its very frustrating and happens almost all the time now when I play games and even happened when I restarted my computer after it crashed. So here are the main components of my computer and if anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0105-jpg  

What you want to be looking for is causes of a STOP error 0x101. It appears to be a processor (possibly GPU) error, not a Windows error. I see that one possible cause is an incompatibility between the Southbridge chip on your board and the AMD processor. Unfortunately the fix is replacement with another model.

Well that stinks. Could it also be the CPU just overheating? I ran the PC Probe program to look at the temperatures and the CPU consistently goes to 68-71 degrees Celsius. If so, do you think underclocking the processor a little will help?

Hey. I'm pretty sure I actually fixed the problem. I finally found a most up-to-date driver for my graphics card and after installing it, I haven't had really any problem. Mass Effect still messes up a bit, but the other games I have (like Call of Duty 4) work fine. Not sure if I can be any help anyways, seeing as I'm not very good with computers. Hope you figure out the problem and fix it.

Re: A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within

To me most probably the error seems to be the problem with hardware incompatibility. You will need to run tests one by one on all hardwares like RAM, test HDD tests, etc to find out which is getting faulty. As far as overheating is concerned, often the system will simply shut down, and be hard to restart until it cools. But remember that if the overheating cycles repeat the damage will become permanent and may not be repaired.

According to the errors i can see on Blue screen, it seems like it is a driver or hardware mismatch. How many stick of RAM are you running on your system? Try changing the memory slots and run RAM test. Also go to your Motherboard's manufacturer website and see if they have released any BIOS updates and/or updated chipset drivers.

Hi all

I too have started having this issue ever since I recently upgraded Vista from 32 to 64 bit. I am running:

AMD Phenom 64 9500 2.2GHz
    ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe WiFi-AP AM2+
    4 x 512MB Kingston HyperX 1066MHz DDR2
    EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB PCI-E (Processor: 600MHz; Memory: 1800MHz effective)
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Hiper Type M 880W power supply
    Pioneer BDC-202 BD-ROM
    2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320GB ST3320620AS in RAID 0 on Marvell RAID controller

I have noticed many people with this problem have ASUS boards, 64 bit multi core processors and Vista 64, but not everyone.

All my drivers are up to date and Vista is up to date. The blue screen is happening more and more often. It seems to happen more frequently when running games, watching blu ray, but also just using software like internet explorer or waking the PC from sleep can do it. However yesterday I played Call of Duty 5 for hours without a single crash which was very unusual.

Any advice?

hello i too am having the same problem i have just switched to vista home ultimate 64 bit previously running xp home for 2 years with never having one crash though i recently bought a pny xlr8 8800gts and a core2 qoad Q8200 on a GIGABYTE P35 DS3L i have benn running vista for 2 days and this is my second crash so i do not think its hadrware related.. or at least my case...

sys specs GA-P35-DS3L, Q8200 @2.66, PNY XLR8 8800 GTS, tv tuner, raid card running 2x seagate 160gb in raid 1 mirrior, ram 4gb PNY XLR8 800mhz @850, samsung bvb burner, vista 64 bit home ultimate SP1

Hey guys, i have a solution i think. Even i was facing from the same problem with the following system:
    • AMD x2 6400+ windsor black edition
    • 8 gig Corsair mem 800 mhz - running at 667 mhz
    • EVGA 9800 GX2
    • Corsair 1000 w psu
    • Ninja II cooler

Since i installed the EVGA 9800 GX2 video card i started getting the same BSOD with a dump. The only thing i did was re-installing the video card updated drivers,. Thats it. Since then not a single BSOD so far.

I thought I should share my own experience, as it seems relevant. I have found a workaround that works for me, but I'd thoroughly appreciate any information that sheds light on a possible solution that doesn't require me to compromise performance.

My specs are:

AMD X2 6400+
    4GB 800MHz RAM
    2x (SLI) 1GB 8800GT
    M2N-SLI mainboard

From day one, I had random BSoDs ("interrupt not received on secondary processor"), but only under Vista x64 (as opposed to 32bit XP). I spent weeks trying to figure out what was causing it, but it was made difficult by the fact that I could go days without the error, then get several in one session.

The crashes would mostly occur during intensive gaming, but would also ocassionally occur during mundane tasks, or even when idle. Temperatures were perfectly normal (I have suffered one overheat on a hot and humid day with no sign of this BSoD). Moving up and down the BIOS versions didn't make any difference, nor did alternating RAM sticks, swapping drivers, etc.

I have now 'cured' the issue completely by underclocking by ~1-2%. While I'm unhappy that this means I cannot overclock (or leave at stock) the CPU/RAM, etc., I have come to accept that this is a result of 'a subtle incompatibility between components', as mentioned above. This seems to strongly indicate a mainboard design problem (rather than a fault), and possibly one common to some slightly older/cheaper boards. Damn my penny-pinching ways!

I can still overclock my graphics cards by an extraordinary amount - these 1GB 8800GTs are far better than you'd be lead to believe by a number of noisy 'experts' citing memory bandwidth; despite the lacklustre X2, I enjoy very nice FPS at high/max detail levels in GTA IV, Crysis/Warhead, etc - but I have no recourse to address the CPU bottleneck to any degree - I certainly can't overclock a CPU that goes no higher than 16x multiplier if the bus has to be underclocked for stability. :(

My impressions are that this issue mostly affects AMD users, but also presents itself in a few Intel systems. It mostly affects Vista users, primarily x64 flavours. An alarming number of these errors are reported on Asus-based systems.

Ultimately, it's an unsolved mystery that nobody seems to want to address.

Try what I've tried - drop your bus speed by about 5-10%, and if there are no problems from there on, raise it until the problem returns. You may find that everything is stable only a couple of MHz below stock (in my case, with the bus set at 197MHz vs 200MHz). As 3DMark06 gives me ~12,000 points (which is what I was aiming for with this build), I'm still happy with my purchases - I'd rather have a fully working gaming PC than one which works sporadically for a few FPS more.
    Last edited by White_Hawk; 19-06-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Readability/grammar.

Notice that this problem occurred with many users after upgrading from a 32 bit version of windows to a 64 bit version. They went from only using Core 0 of a multi-processor CPU to using 2 or 4 cores of a multi-processor CPU. DEFECTIVE CORE!!! Even the error message tells you this. Note one person got around this by UNderclocking his CPU!!! This is a defective CPU. AMD had a problem with a LOT of CPU's with ONE defective core. Many of these had the defective core disabled & then sold as a 3 Core AMD CPU. If you UNlocked this hidden core, then you will most likely get this error. If you are still under warranty, get your AMD CPU replaced!!!

IMHO
    isepiq