Thread: Problems with Microsoft Bluetooth notebook mouse 5000

Problems with Microsoft Bluetooth notebook mouse 5000

I am having a Sony Vaio laptop running with Windows Vista. Recently I purchased Microsoft Bluetooth notebook mouse 5000 and installed IntelliPoint 6.2. When I try connecting the mouse, the laptop detects the same but I’m just unable to move the cursor. For troubleshooting when I try going to the mouse’s properties, it gives me the following error message:

“Some mouse settings might not work until you connect a Microsoft mouse to a USB port on your computer or set up a Microsoft mouse that uses Bluetooth technology.”

Now I don’t have any idea what this error means. Can anyone please help me out with this ? Thank you.

Re: Problems with Microsoft Bluetooth notebook mouse 5000

Did you checked if Bluetooth Support is enabled or started in the System Services ? if not check it because that could be creating this problem as well. Here is how you can do the same:

• Go to Start menu and type “services.msc” without quotes and press enter.
    • Search and locate service named ‘Bluetooth Support’ on the right side.
    • Check if the service is stopped, if yes, enable it and set the Startup type as Automatic
    • Now go to Log On tab and click Local System account.
    • Click OK and restart the computer.

Now try to connect the mouse again and see if it works. For more help on this you can also check this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952818/en-us

Thanks for the help and steps buddy, but I have already done that. However I checked it again as you said and mentioned in that KB and now when I connect the mouse, Vaio is recognizing the same with a message saying recognition was successfully completed but just after few seconds it gives me another message saying:

“New Hardware found. Windows needs to install a controller software for unknown device”

When I click on ‘Search and install controller software’ option, it searches for the drivers and come again saying “Windows found a problem while installing the device's controller software. Windows found a controller software for the device but an error was encountered while trying to install it.”

Any idea what should I do to fix this problem ?

I think I have a solution for your problem as me too experienced the same thing couple of months ago. I found my mouse stopped working when I installed the vista update on April 2008 KB938371. Actually that update removed two files from \Windows\inf folder named ‘msmouse.inf and mskeyboard.inf’. This caused make the mouse stop working. I guess you might have installed the update too.

Anyways there is an Microsoft Article that describe the solution for the same. Check this:
    When you install update 938371 from Windows Update, you may lose access to the USB mouse or the USB keyboard on a computer that is running Windows Vista

Even I was facing the same problem with Microsoft Notebook 5000 and Vista SP1 32bit os. It was not able to work because of the missing drivers hence I too installed Microsoft IntelliPoint but that dint helped too. Am sure there was no problem in the Bluetooth connection because the system was able to detect the mouse and even there was a green task tray. I downloaded the drivers and tried installing them manually but that was too unsuccessful.

Later I came to know that I have a different Bluetooth driver / manager installed on my Vista system that came with my PC. After searching for hours, I found the proper fix for the same. Here it is:

I was having BlueSoleil (Bluetooth Manager) installed. hence stopped the same and uninstalled.
    Restarted the system.
    Now the Vista Bluetooth Manger should work again.
    Connect the mice and windows should recognize the mice perfectly as HID and it should work!