Thread: Install XP: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

Install XP: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

I have got a hp pavilion laptop which came with Windows Vista preinstalled on it. Now I want to install Windows XP on it but when I try to install this operating system then it gives me the below error message that states:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

Can anyone tell me how do I install XP on this laptop instead of Vista?

It seems to me that you need the driver for the hard drive controller which is not getting detected when installing the operating system, so check in bios if there is way to change it. Or you can simply set the SATA Controller to Compatability/IDE/Standard Mode by following the below steps:

• First of all you have to go into your BIOS/Setup Utility
    • After that you need to find the Serial ATA or SATA configuration section
    • You can see this section called ‘On Chip Config’ on some Phoenix Award BIOS
    • But on a Lenovo/IBM ThinkPads the same you can find in Config > Serial ATA (Sata)
    • After that you have to change the mode of the SATA controller from AHCI to IDE or Compatibility
    • Now you just have to Save & Exit the bios
    • Restart the computer and begin the Windows Setup again.
    • Check now whether Windows Setup successfully detects the hard drive, then go ahead and perform the Windows Setup.
    • Afterwars when Windows setup completes change the mode back to AHCI in the BIOS

Hope this helps.