Thread: Laptop fan control

Laptop fan control

I have purchased a new Acer laptop which is running on Windows Vista and whenever I go out of standby mode, then the fan continuous to run at maximum speed. This I have judged by hearing its noise. So i was wondering if the laptop is on standby mode and in this mode no such intensive work is done so why the fan runs are max speed. So, whether or not it seems like a bug to me in Vista rather than any kind of poor hardware design. So, can anyone tell me how do i switch the fan off without restating the laptop everytime?

I would suggest you to check in the BIOS area in the laptop to see if there are any kind of settings for the fan like run at full speed, run at auto speed or so on. I had seen such options in many of my clients laptop, which is usually shipped by the vendor themselves in the BIOS option to either set it to run at full speed or run it medium. Also, the laptop that you have bought had pre-installed Vista operating system on it, then it is suppose to be Acer's problem and not the operating system's issue.

Yep, the laptop came with the preinstalled Vista OS. But I was wondering whether I should ask for help in the software support side or from the manufacturer themselves because if these kind of laptops have same poor behaviour, then returning the laptop would be a good idea to the laptop manufacturer. However, I will search for some solutions and then will proceed with the returning. Thanks for the reply.

Re: Laptop fan control

Even I am facing this similar issue with my toshiba laptop that I have purchased few months ago and which is running Windows Vista. This problem was not there previously on my laptop but therefore I believe that this could be occuring due to some buggy microsoft software update. I will try to reformat and reinstall a fresh operating system and see if that eradicates the problem.