Thread: Unsuccessful backup. I/O device error (0x8007045D)

Unsuccessful backup. I/O device error (0x8007045D)

Recently I have purchased a new PC with Windows Vista and what ever i do i am not able to make a backup of recovery file on a DVD disc. When I first start the backup procedure then everything happens smootly but in the middle of no where i get the below error message:
    The backup did not complete successfully. An error occured. The following information might help you reslove the error. The request could not be performed because of an i/o device error (0x8007045D)

Is the inbuilt backup features in Vista broken or is this some other kind of issues.

Even I was suffering from the same issue at the time of both pc backup and file backup. I think that microsoft has to look into this issue which is persitant. But anyhow, you can try to get inside the system settings and from their uncheck the drives since they might not be creating a shadow copy which is the restore function in Vista OS basically. To wipe all shadow copy entries you have to apply this new settings and then simply reset the box by checking it. After that you could go ahead to backup the whole pc again. Since you have deleted all other shadow copy, which might be conflicting with he backup process, hopefully this time it will work for sure.

Thank you for your post, after trying your suggestions, the backup for my complete computer went properly. I performed all the settings that you have listed step by step and am glad that it worked out. But still I have a question for you to ask, what if the next time I want to do a complete backup then again I will have to follow the whole procedure every time? It is really a pain to do all the steps for the complete backup which was having trouble here.

I think that i have found the root cause of this problem. I had a dell machine that has a invisible FAT parition that is used to run some type of diagnostics. This invisible partition can be seen in the OS but it cannot be deleted, modified, etc. From my point of view this hidden FAT partition cant be backup by Windows Vista for some reason which the OS is trying to perform and then it gives an I/O error in the same processing. So I deleted this partition by first booting with an old disk of Windows XP, which is viewable. After this parition is deleted, vista will be able to backup the files successfully to an external DVD writer without the error message that we were getting.

Can anyone help me as I am also having this same issue when I am trying to copy files onto a USB Flash Drive. I tried the method given for Shadow Copy but that didnt work. I even researched a bit about giving permissions to be able to copy the files or backup it, but it failed as well. I will see if there is a problem with the internal DVD burner and try to get a new DVD and see if that resolves my issue or not.

Re: Unsuccessful backup. I/O device error (0x8007045D)

@Photog, your idea worked great, I couldn't get any of the other suggestion to work for my WD external 250G. I even tried changing the sector size when I formatted with Win7. Thanks for the info.