Thread: USB Mouse not working! ( showing up as unidentified device)

USB Mouse not working! ( showing up as unidentified device)

I have usign a usb mouse and whenever i try to plug it in my laptop, I get an option to install the mouse and when i click on locate and install mouse then Windows starts to install the drivers automatically, but after sometime it shows that the device is unidentified and update fails. After that I get another error message saying that " USB Browser Mouse failed to install because the driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later." I dont have a clue here how to resolve this issue, can anyone help.

Even I was facing a similar problem. Anyways, can you tell us when you first connected the mouse then did it install in your computer. If it was working fine at that time then you can try to do a system restore to a previous state when the usb mouse was working fine before, this way you wont have to install the drivers for the mouse again in your system. If that doesnt work then try to download the driver from the manufacturer's website and then install it.

Follow the below steps and see if it works for you:

1. First, Click on Start, then go to Control panel and from their click on Device manager.
    2. After that, click on the device that should be your mouse and right click on it and choose update driver.
    3. After that choose the option to search automatically for updated driver
    4. software.
    5. Now, windows will try to search the computer or the internet for the proper version of the usb mouse drivers and install it in your computer.

I have found the below solution for this issue, please follow it to solve your queries:

If you are facing the below problem:

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while
    attempting to install it.
    USB Browser Mouse
    An error occurred during the installation of the device. The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor. If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software

Then first of all open start menu and then click search then go to advance search and then put this word in the name "msmouse" and dont forget to check mark Include non-index, it will result folders and files with same name that should be something like below:

x:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\msmouse.inf_*

After that copy the folder and paste it on the desktop or where ever you want to. After that open device manager then look under unknown devices, here you will find USB Receiver, just right click on it then chose update driver >> Browse my computer for driver software >> let me pick >> have disk >> Browse >> open the folder on your desktop that has the file msmouse file >> open >> ok >> then it will show HID-compliant mouse. Just chose it and click next and if any warning pops up then click install or ok or next. Your mouse driver will be installed and the usb mouse will be ready to use.

re: USB Mouse not working! ( showing up as unidentified device)

Bloody marvellous! Worked for me too with a different mouse (labtec cheapie). That's been annoying me for ages, so thanks very much!

Thanks a lot and lots. It works.

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by XibDia View Post
    I got the same mouse and had the same problem. Found this on another forum worked for me...
    its absolutely works. in indonesian "pokoknya keren deh lo, mouse gue jadi bisa dipake"

If you are getting error as

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while
    attempting to install it.
    USB Browser Mouse
    An error occurred during the installation of the device.
    The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry.
    This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your
    hardware vendor.
    If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and
    check the support section for driver software."

THEN IT MEANS msmouse.inf file in your system drive (in Windows Folder) is having some missing information.

Solution:
    Download msmouse.inf for your OS (XP/Vista/Seven) and replace old with this one.

Cause:
    While installing OS some drivers were not correctly installed (set up was misconfigured or damaged)

Works 100% . :)