Thread: Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver

Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver

Can anyone please confirm to me whether the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Recevier for Windows connected to Windows Vista 64 bit will work porperly. I know that it works fine on Windows XP, but on this new OS I am unsure about same and if it doesnt work then it is not worth it to buy the Xbox 360 Wireless Recevier. Thank you

Re: Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver

I think that Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver will be compatible with Vista since it is a higher version of the Windows XP OS and has all the legacy drivers for this kind of devices. However, you need to put it in the proper usb 2.0 port so that it get proper power and thus vista can find the drivers for it. If still it doesnt find the driver, then you might have got driver cd/dvd of the Wireless Gaming Receiver which you need to install first in your windows and then sync the controller, so that it gets connected.

Since this shows up on the first page when googling for "xbox wireless receiver vista 64", I thought this might be a good place to share my success in getting this working.

I got an xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows. I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit. When I plugged the receiver in, windows couldn't find a driver. So I installed the driver software from the CD that came with it, but I still had an "Unknown Device" in Device Manager. So I tried the latest one from the Microsoft Site (version 1.20.146.0). Still the same. At this point I also tried pairing my controller with me receiver, but it would just have a connection error and flash constantly. I tried a number of methods to update the driver using the files I downloaded from the above Microsoft site, to no avail. My Vista 64 just wouldn't recognize the driver files. So here is the exact process that worked for me:

1. Uninstall any drivers you've tried to install already - go to device manager and uninstall the driver for the "unknown device" (which is just uninstalling the device really, seeing there is no driver) and also uninstall any driver software through control panel. LEAVE THE DEVICE PLUGGED IN.
    2. Restart PC.
    3. Download and install the latest driver from the Microsoft Site.
    4. Restart PC.
    5. Go to device manager - you'll notice it still shows up as an unknown device. Right click on it and go Update Driver.
    6. Click "Browse my vomputer for software".
    7. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
    8. The list will take a while to load. Select Microsoft, then on the right, select Xbox Wireless Receiver for Windows (there might be multiple versions, go with what looks like the most recent one - mine was 2.1.0.1349) and click next. It will warn you about possible incompatibility, install it anyway.
    9. It will ask you to restart. Do it.
    10. Once restarted, go to device manager and you should notice a new slot - "Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class", and under it, "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows". Yay!
    11. Now try pairing your controller with the receiver. Click the button on the receiver, then hold the big xbox button on the controller until it turns on and press the very small "connect" button on the forward side of the controller (the side with the triggers), while the receiver light is still flashing. Your controller light should spin for a fraction of a second and then Sync up and the first quadrant should stay lit. Yay! (if not, some people have had success by unplugging their USB devices and restarting and plugging in just the receiver first, then it syncs, then try their other USB devices again).

I have joined this forum Just to say thankyou so much Spoondog,
    I was at my wits end with the wireless receiver until I read & followed your post.
    Worked first time,

You just saved me from looking like a turd in front of my 8 year old son. I bought him all of the gadgets, tried to get them working and had given up until your post.

Spoondog, I don't even know if you'll see this post, but I registrated here just to say thank you, man, I was driving crazy until I tried your solution, which worked perfectly, seriously, thanks a lot, dude. I'll spread the word.

Spoondog, hope you see this.

I just joined especially to say:

Thank you so much for that guide, we tried everything that we found on other sides including editing files etc but nothing worked until we found this page and my husband was about to contact the seller and demand his money back! Thanks again, you are awesome!

Spoondog, Thank you so much, I can confirm this method works on Windows 8 as well. You are a god among men. We salute you!

I went through this guide and it worked, sure. But my wireless adapter doesn't want to update it's drives. It gives me the error "This device cannot start (Code 10)"
    On Microsoft's site, they advice to fix this by updating the Drivers, but the drivers can't be updated because the device can't start!

Help, please! I don't want my money to have been wasted on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Sock View Post
    I went through this guide and it worked, sure. But my wireless adapter doesn't want to update it's drives. It gives me the error "This device cannot start (Code 10)"
    On Microsoft's site, they advice to fix this by updating the Drivers, but the drivers can't be updated because the device can't start!

Help, please! I don't want my money to have been wasted on this!
    What type of wireless adapter you are using? Could you please tell us what is your computer specifications anyways? If you suspect that the Code 10 error is related to incompatible, outdated, or corrupted device drivers, try the following troubleshooting methods given here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104

It's the wireless adapter that comes when you buy a wireless Xbox gamepad for the PC. I don't know how to give you my computer specifications, sorry (>.>) and the problem with the troubleshooting at Microsoft's web page is that they advice me to update my drivers in order to fix it. But I can't update my drivers, because when I try to, I get the error message about Code 10, which I'm supposed to fix via updating my drivers, which I can't since that gives the error message Code 10, and that's an endless loop.