Thread: Vista boot error "Display Driver R300 stopped working"

Vista boot error "Display Driver R300 stopped working"

Whenever Windows Vista starts I keep getting a error on my screen. The error is related to some display driver failure. It shows Display Driver R300 failed to work and recovered. I am not able to work on it properly. The system freezes for a while and it went back to normal when I logout and login. I checked the gpu that I have. It is some ATI X700. The driver looks to be working perfectly. To ensure minimum loss, I had disabled the gpu and enable the onboard video card. It is working stable without causing any error.

It is a video driver issue. You have to locate a newest Vista driver and also upgrade your existing chipset drivers. Or else it is not going to work properly. I am too facing the same kind of issue with my old driver, but that worked out on its own. I just updated the driver and all done. The problem basically lies with corrupt driver which fails to load on startup. Vista tries to recover the same or else your desktop resolution will be affected. Sometime the problem also appear due to hardware fault in the system.

Same with latest Driver

I have an ATI Radeon Mobility x600 and even with the latest 7.2 driver it still does it like crazy. I tried to get ATI to help and they told me since its a laptop I had to talk to HP, and HP wont do anything because its Vista. Anyone figured it out?

Just check the driver edition you have. You need a better upgrades for that. You can start with uninstalling the old one and then installing a new back again. Do not just overwrite it. I have a netbook which has Vista in it. The driver basically failed to install if there is new Windows Updates.

Display Driver R300

I am using ATI Radeon X1300 on Windows Vista. Sometime the screen goes blackout and I got the same error that you had mentioned. Sometime I have to restart the system to make it work properly. After contacting ATI and ASUS I found that the issue lies with drivers. I am looking for new drivers right now. And every updates make your system more stable. We must keep on updating our drivers whenever they are released to avoid such problem.

I am stuck with the same error while using Radeon X1650 Pro. It is small 256mb card that came in the system at the time of purchase. I am using Windows XP and recently I had updated to SP2 which generated this problem. I am bit stuck how to fix this thing out. The last option that I am having is to uninstall SP2 and add a old driver back again. That looks the only way to fix the problem.

I've been having no problems for over a month and suddenly started having these issues running an x1300. I have found disabling desktop composistion fixes the error for the time being until new drivers are released but it also disables Aero.
    I have contaced Microsoft on the issue and have had it elevated. I have worked with their techs and also ATI and nVidia and as of now there are no known 100% fixes. The issues are being researched by all parties and we are hoping a fix will be applied with the next driver releases from both ATI and nVidia.
    Last edited by Pantera; 16-03-2007 at 10:46 PM.

re: Vista boot error

if this kind of problem appears then it can be a issue with corrupt driver and another major reason that many ignored is compatibility. Some new updates or new OS cause this kind of problem. There is nothing you can do here. The system drivers will be keep on crashing. I tried to restore my system for older data but that did not worked properly.

You can disable desktop composistion by navigating to control panel/system
    Under Tasks click Advanced system settings, this opens system properties.
    Under the Performance heading click settings, this opens performance properties and on the visual effects tab uncheck enable desktop composistion.
    This appears to have helped greatly the number of instances these driver crashes occur during normal navigation of Vista. I can't say that this will work 100% for everyone who is having these problems but will hopefully make them more tolerable until newer drivers are released.
    One other thing that some people have tried that seems to help some is uninstalling the drivers in safe mode, rebooting and then reinstalling in safe mode.

Hope this helps some until newer drivers are out.

Load of Cr@p!

Yes i did that but now it has switched to Vista Basic!