Thread: Card Reader won't read 2Gb SD card

Card Reader won't read 2Gb SD card

I am facing a bit problem with my internal card reader. I had installed Vista to test that everything is working fine. I collected all proper drivers. Everything is working but there is a bit issue with my card reader. It is not reading my 2GB card. I had checked with another card. I am having a 1GB and 512 MicroSD card. Both are working, but 2GB is unrecognizable. This card is working in my phone. When I insert the card and open it, there is a message on the screen that to use it format disk. I cannot format it because all my songs and contacts are saved in it.

Just because of that reason I am using a usb card reader. It is widely available and works almost on all kind of system. In Vista there is some issue with chipset drivers. My laptop card reader stopped working after upgrade. Instead of messing with that I preferred to spend a small amount in buying a good card reader. It is not worth to check for drivers and then keep on using the card. All things can spoil it.

I am having a similar kind of issue with 1GB card. It is not working in my system. It always ask me to format it. I copied the data through another system and then formatted it. It started working. It looks due to some reason Vista does not read old cards. They have to be formatted once to make it work properly. There are number of ways by which you can take backup. Like if you phone supports pc connectivity you can simply connect the same with pc and copy data. Later on format it.

It is a driver issue I think. But it is also right that for some old cards you have to format your card once and then it started working fine. I had received the same error on my usb drive. I checked on number of different website and found that the issue can be related to mass storage compliant. When this is installed in your system your can access your memory card directly. This is quiet commonly found in XP and so a series of different card work on the same.

My laptop also has a integrated card reader and the same works quiet fine. There is no issue with any card I insert. I am using a 2GB card on it. You can try re-installing the card reader. Just go in device manager and uninstall it. Click on scan for new hardware and follow the screen instructions. That's all. It will be installed and I hope you might be able to access your card.

I got the same problem here. I have a notebook hp nc6400 running windows vista and it was not able to recognize correctly my 2GB SD card. The solution above I found in a forum at HP.com. Run regedit and edit the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\tifm21\Parameters. Change the value from 16 (Decimal) to 1. Reboot and voilĂ*. It worked fine for me... I hope it can work for you guys too. Vista looks to be a bit incompatible with this kind of stuff. I you buy a new system with Vista installed in them, then there is never this kind of issues. But if you upgrade your system with all this stuff, then your system will face various compatibility problems.