Thread: Vista - Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA Device

Vista - Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA Device

I have a Matshita dvd drive in my system which is loaded with Windows Vista and I dont know what could be the reason for this drive to be not working. I am getting an error message that says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver mat be corrupt or missing. (Code 39)." I am out of clues here, need your assitance.

I have a solution for the error message that you are getting for the dvd drive that is not working, please follow the below steps:
    1. First of all you need to remove some registry entry and please take care while removing it since if any other registry is altered then serious problem can occur. So to open registry editor, click on Start and then click Run and type regedit and then press ok.
    2. You have to find the following registry subkey which is stated here - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    3. After locating it, on the file menu click on Export and in the file name box, type savedkey, and then click on Save.
    4. After that you have to click on REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters and afterwards click delete on the edit menu. Click yes again to confirm the deletion.
    5. Here the data type might be missing so go to the method 2 given here.
    6. After that again click REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters and then click Delete on the Edit menu and confirm the deletion.
    7. Close the registry editor and then restart the pc and check now whether the dvd is working fine or not.

Even I am facing similar kind of problems with my matshita dvd-ram uj-850s drive on my laptop. When i insert any CD's, the dvd drive is able to read the cd's but when I try to burn blank disc, it is not working. I have tried the Upperfilter and Lowerfilter solution but that didnt help me either. Is there any other way to solve this problem.

This worked for me: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Vista 64 Business/Hp Compaq 6715s

Re: Vista - Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA Device

This Worked For Me So Please Give It A Try But Read Every Instruction Carefully!!

My DVD burner completely disappeared from My Computer; the Microsoft URL above fixed it.

However, I wish I could find the driver to have on a flash drive so I can fix it myself whenever this happens.
    Last edited by roxe7; 26-11-2010 at 03:02 AM.

For anyone who is attempting to run the registry fix for the CD/DVD problem:

Please be advised that you should BACKUP/EXPORT your registry before doing anything to it. Nothing is more annoying than attempting to break something and then break it further :)

That being said, the fix for deleting the upper and lower filters works, but only after you reboot the computer afterwards.

If your drive isn't showing up, drive going under Disk management (right click my computer and click manage to find it) and see if your CD/DVD drive is listed by your other disks (such as C:\ or D:). If your CD/DVD drive is listed but not assigned a letter, then right click the drive and choose "change letter and drive path" and select a letter for it.

Windows should automatically select a drive letter for it, but changes to the system (and even simply plugging in a USB drive might "steal" the drive letter to it after it reboots) might not assign it one.

Good luck!

Thank you PropMan, I followed your steps and then went to the link via microsoft and It worked. Thanks again.
    worked with: toshiba satellite a205-s5825