Thread: Usb devices not working in Vista Ultimate RTM

Usb devices not working in Vista Ultimate RTM

All USB devices failed to work on my new Vista Ultimate RTM system. It was only XP when everything was fine. I upgraded to Vista hoping for a better OS. I installed all the drivers that I had but still nothing worked. Only the mouse is working. I have a usb hard drive and a printer. Both of them are not detected by Vista. My motherboard is ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe. I had tried number of things already to ensure that my devices are proper. The issue only lies with Vista, there is no hardware fault.

That is a common issue. Even I upgraded to Vista, and somehow all devices failed to work. My usb is not detected, the printer driver is not working, etc. I tried to install the drivers manually through device manager by allowing the CD path, but some are taken while some are still not accessible. The hardware looks completely dead. I do not care about other devices, but my external hard drive which has all the data needs to be working on this.

Did you tried checking the same on official site of ASUS. The drivers download are provided. The following link has list of drivers which are needed for Vista. I will advice you not to use the old drivers. That would make the system unstable.

A8N-SLI Deluxe Driver Download

Did you tried Windows Update. This might help you. Checking for drivers on official website is nice alternative but there are less chances that Vista will accept the drivers. Now the usb devices which you are using might not be plug and play. You have to visit the manufacturer website of those hardware and look for Vista compatible drivers. Download them and run the setup. For example the printer you mentioned. Collect a Vista driver from the official website.

Vista is different compared to XP and there are tons of driver bugs. Mostly the external usb drives is detected as plug and play. But that is due to internal driver database. And if that is not found then you need to manually locate Vista compatible drivers and perform the setup.