Thread: I Really Need A Hardware Techs Help On This One

I Really Need A Hardware Techs Help On This One

I turned off my computer (Vista Home Premium 64BIT) and when I went to turn it on, the power button will light up and blink slowly but the computer will not start?

There is no 'spin up'?

Holding down the power button, (sometimes for almost 30 seconds) will shut the pc down but no matter how often I try to power on .. All I get is the slow blinking power button?

I've unplugged the pc for as long as a day .. same results!

The pc did this exact same thing last week but after shutting it down for an hour .. It started normally!?

Does this indicate a dead psu (power source)?
    (power unit fan doesn't start?)

I've had harddrives go but the psu would still start up?

I have no idea where to go from here?

The slow blinking power button is exactly what the computer does in sleep mode but it wasn't in sleep mode?
    (I shut it down)

Mouse movement nor keyboard movement has no effect.
    (Just in case it somehow goes into sleep mode when powering on?)

PSU?
    Other hardware?

I can't even insert a rescue disc because .. nothing but the blinking power light comes on!

I went into the case to look around and found this black and white wire connector with a GP tag.

I looked for hours and couldn't find a place where it might connect?

It may not have been connected in the first place.

The connector end was laying under the processor fan and there is no place for a connection anywhere near there?

As (I hope) my pictures show .. the wires are .. one black and one white.
    (two 'tiny' little slots for pin connection)

http://i40.tinypic.com/28i9kjs.jpg

The other end of the wire runs under my cards and connects to the far right of that white connector you can see at the bottom left.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ijm6q9.jpg

Looks like it connects to the motherboard?

I REALLY need some advice on this one folks!

Thank You.

Re: I Really Need A Hardware Techs Help On This One

If it is a dead psu then the system will not boot. There can be various reason behind the issue. We will check then one by one. First disconnect all the extra hardware connected to your system. Like a printer, usb hub, etc. Just leave the keyboard, mouse and monitor attached. If there is a graphic card in your system, connect your monitor directly to the motherboard through vga. But if there is no gpu then ignore this.

Try to remove the ram, clean the edges with a ink rubber and connect it back. If there are multiple ram sticks, then connect one first and turn your system on. Then connect the other. This will show you if there is any ram faulty or not. The last thing left is to check the processor and motherboard. Boot failure are caused to cpu and board failure. If the system is fine you must atleast able to see the bios screen. If that is not coming up then ram, cpu and motherboard are the primary things to test.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikaGeek View Post
    If it is a dead psu then the system will not boot. There can be various reason behind the issue. We will check then one by one. First disconnect all the extra hardware connected to your system. Like a printer, usb hub, etc. Just leave the keyboard, mouse and monitor attached. If there is a graphic card in your system, connect your monitor directly to the motherboard through vga. But if there is no gpu then ignore this.

Try to remove the ram, clean the edges with a ink rubber and connect it back. If there are multiple ram sticks, then connect one first and turn your system on. Then connect the other. This will show you if there is any ram faulty or not. The last thing left is to check the processor and motherboard. Boot failure are caused to cpu and board failure. If the system is fine you must atleast able to see the bios screen. If that is not coming up then ram, cpu and motherboard are the primary things to test.
    Well, after unplugging for 24 hours the pc started normally.

Shut down after about 4-5 hours, tried turning on today- .. back to blinking light! 8(

My biggest obstacle with all the checks you describe is I'm pretty much sight impaired with no one around to ask for help.

Thank You

Even I believe that it might be a Power Supply problem or else it could be a faulty motherboard as well. It will be also good if you can tell us what is your whole computer specifications? Are you using any graphics card, if so then take it out and then try to boot with the onboard graphics. If it was a RAM issue then you should be getting a blue screen error or so.